best real-time Video Editing/Coding software?

TomJerry 23:03 06 Jul 04

I tried a couple of video editing software. The rendering is really a big problem because it takes too long.

Can anyone recommend a "real-time" package which does not take very long time for rendering? I know the best solution is to get a dedicated video editing card, but I would like to do it on software way with a reasonable PC. Possiblly i need to go for semi-pro products, but just want to find out information first.

hugh-265156 01:59 07 Jul 04

tmpgenc or virtual dub are both popular click here click here but dont ever expect to get 'real time' conversion with any software even if you have a 3gig+ cpu computer and lots of ram. the 'delay' will be less though the faster your computer is and if you have 512+ ram.

what is it you want to do?

TOMMO01 02:10 07 Jul 04

I am fully prepared to be corrected on the following but here goes.

Video editing and video encoding are two completely different tasks.

You can get products that will allow "real time" encoding to MPEG. ATI All In Wonders apparently allow you to do it but if you look a you will see that it is not that straightforward. However I do not have such a card so I cannot comment too much.
Canopus and Matrox sell dedicated capture cards which do REAL TIME encoding which are highly regarded but are not cheap. However these products do tend to come bundled with high end video editing packages such as Adobe Premiere Pro or Canopus Editing packages.

So fair enough good hardware solutions, but once captured as MPEG (I Presume this is what you are looking for) it is very difficult to edit out the bits you dont want. MPEG is not really suitable for editing as it will only allow you to edit at certain point ( I, B and P Points) wheras AVI or DV AVI will allow editing down to exact frames. For example PAL video has 25 frames for every second of footage using consumer type video cameras. MPEG might let you edit every 12 Frames. AVI allows you to edit every single frame. It might not sound much of a difference but the difference is very big indeed.

Whatever solution you adopt your computers power will play a large part of it. Also your operating system will play a large part. FAT based OS will only allow a maximum file size of 4GB whereas NTFS based systems will have no limit except the size of your hard drive.

My ideal set would be as follows:-

Windows XP (or Windows 2000) formatted to NTFS.
A second hard drive dedicted to capturing.
Captur via a firwire card ( or an ADVC 100 if using 8mm video)
Either Adobe Premiere Pro or Vegas 4 or Vegas 5.
Capture as AVI, edit and render out as MPEG.

Yes it MIGHT take longer but the results are very good. THis is said from experience.

Good luck with the decision making. Its a hard choice. Especially with the costs involved.

TomJerry 11:06 07 Jul 04

If I want to get a good video editing software, which one to get? Adobe Premirer Pro, Sony Vegas, Screenblast Moviestudio, Canopus Lets Edit, Canaopus Edius?

Those Pro packages are very expensive, but they all said, "Reanding Free Real-time". I am not sure what really means. What is really difference from other low priced package such as Ulead Video Studio. Especially for speed. I want to get a good package and edit and some of my videos and not do it again. You pointed out correctly, only AVI format can be fully edited. I am thinking of do proper editing and convert to MPEG2 and delete AVI because they are so big.

Bagsey 11:37 07 Jul 04

I would agree with all advice that has been offered here. However It all depends on your needs and your wallet. I use Adobe Premier but I can say that it has a long steep learning curve and it is not cheap, only you can decide if you want the strain. For quick videos I still use Pinnacle software, mainly because years ago I became familiar with the layout of the menu structure.It is easy to use but not filled with the features of adobe.
You may find some good help and advice here.
click here

stlucia 13:09 07 Jul 04

I've just looked at an ad for Canopus Edius, and I would like to know more about its statement about "realtime render free operation" if I were going to buy it. I may be wrong, but I suspect it's only saying that it will allow you to playback or edit in realtime in any format, without having to first render it. That doesn't necessarily mean that you won't have to render it before burning to DVD.

Like Bagsey, I use Pinnacle. I don't care how long the rendering takes because I can leave it running while I'm doing other things, or overnight. Everything else happens real-time.

TomJerry 14:12 07 Jul 04

I will download a trial version of Pinnacle to test out.

If I can find anyone with Adobe, I will have a look as well.

Smiler 15:02 07 Jul 04

One hour dvi takes about 14gb of hard disk. One hour of dvd takes 4.3gb. So the dvi files have to be compressed to fit on the dvd. One hour video at 25fps = 90000 frames every frame has to be compressed individually. That's a lot of processor work. On my computer it takes about 7hours (AMD 1.2) using Pinnacle Studio 8. It may be quicker with bigger processor but I don't think you will get real time speed.

SEASHANTY 15:25 07 Jul 04

Seven hours to record a 1 hour DVD! Thank heavens we have the domestic standalone DVD recorders - which
record in real time or faster and which you can edit
by clicking the "pause" button OFF and ON (also done in real time).

TOMMO01 18:23 07 Jul 04

I have to admit I have not really seriously used Ulead or Pinnacle products. The little I have used them - they dont seem to match up to Premiere and Vegas. But then, neither does the price. I am just lucky to have them myself.

The biggest let down of the Ulead and Pinnacle programs is the MPEG2 encoding software. I dont know what they use but Premiere and Vegas include the Mainconcept encoder. The results are excellent. However youy could probable achive the same using ulead and the standalone Mainconcept encoder. In Other word edit in Ulead (cheaper option) and export as AVI then encode to MPEG2 using the Standalone basic Maincept encoder.

Render Free Realtime, means that it will play direct from the time out to DV Camera including transitions and titles without re rendering the entire movie.

Which one is best out of Premiere and Vegas. Vegas Dolby 5.1 sound setup and results are easier than Premiere, but Premiere is better at trimming. However it is probably my inability to do these functions rather than the programs.

The poster who brought up DVD Recorders has a fair point, but the results of proper editing, titles, transitions and audio additions are far more versatile using PC based methods. When you include authoring programs like Encore and DVD Architect you can make very good menus. No real limit to your creativity.

You can get much more than One hour of Video on a DVD, even when encoded using high bitrates.

If you use Variable bitrate and Dolby Digital sound you can get between two and three hours worth of footage on a DVD. On a Pentium IV 2.8GHz system it will take about 5 hours to encode, author and burn.

TomJerry 20:33 07 Jul 04

Look like I need to think serious about Premiere or Vegas. What about Canaopus Edius?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…