Best Program for restoring photos

Taebek 19:58 24 Sep 03

I have a colleague at work who has asked what is the best program for restoring old photos that have started to fade. what he wants to do is scan them in and restore them digitally then print them out again. my initial thought was to use adobe essentials as I am sure I have read somewhere, maybe a review or magazine article that this program allows colour level adjustment. I do not do a lot of work with photos so I am unsure, is there a thread that has already discussed this or can any of the forum members help me on this?
many thanks

wags 20:04 24 Sep 03

Adobe Photoshop is the best, with price to match. Adobe Photoshop elements should be a sound choice offering many of the features of its bigger brother and will be fine for restoring old, faded and torn photos. In fact I have seen my local Jessops shop use Elements for that very purpose.

Having said all that, I think you will get good results with most photo editing software.

MIke 20:04 24 Sep 03

I have used Adobe photoshop elements to do this sort of thing, the menu item you need is enhance/brightnesscontrast/levels. Each channel (RGB) can be manipulated individually, I prefer subtle canges!

You could also use variations which shows the original and how the picture looks with varying levels of green, red, blue, yellow etc. This is easier and often gives satisfactory results, again as long as things are not over done.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:06 24 Sep 03

I have Photochop7 but I have to admit that for restoring ALL old photos I use Photodeluxe4 that came free with my scanner and didgcam. It is unmatched IMHO.

Taebek 21:44 24 Sep 03

Many Thanks for your responses, I did of course mean Adobe photoshop Elements not essentials, I will pass this information on to my work colleage.
thanks for your time :)

woodchip 21:52 24 Sep 03

I use Picture Publisher8 it was free on a Mag disc, all though I have other like Serif Photo Plus8 and others I like Picture Publisher the best of the lot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…