Best printer to be left for long periods

Quiet Life 11:58 24 Mar 08

I have a friend looking to buy an all in one printer.
Problem is that she goes away for three months at a time. This clearly will cause problems with blocked heads. Does anyone have experience of a make where this will not be a major problems.

Al94 12:05 24 Mar 08

Take the carts ot and seal them in an airtight bag eachtime store in a cool place, this will reduce dramatically any problems.

spuds 12:12 24 Mar 08

I have three all-in-one printers, HP C3180 (2+years old), HP OfficeJet 590 (12+ years old) and a Lexmark X5150 (5+years old). Never had any real problems, except with the Lexmark, and this was easily remedied by placing a dodgy cartridge in a bowl containing a small amount of warm water for about 10 minutes.

Some people suggest removal of the cartridges and store in a sealed plastic bag.Make sure the cartridges do not leak. I have never tried this, but perhaps worth a thought!.

spuds 12:14 24 Mar 08

AI94 beat me to it, slow keyboard finger ;o)

Quiet Life 12:30 24 Mar 08

A194 and spuds. Thanks are we looking at printers with the heads in the print cartridges or in the printer?

setecio 12:32 24 Mar 08

If you go for the sealed plastic bag route, make sure it is a printer where the print heads are part of the cartridge.

Laser printers are the other option.

Gongoozler 12:42 24 Mar 08

Avoid Epson and similar printers which have the print head built into the printer body. If this gets clogged with dried ink it's usually a throw away the printer job. HP is probably the best bet here as the print head is built into the cartridge, so if it does get clogged it's just a matter of replacing the cartridge. As setecio says, a laser printer is worth considering as it would completely overcome the dried ink problem, and laser printer prices have dropped significantly in recent years. However in my experience Laser printers don't get anywhere near inkjets for photo quality.

spuds 13:58 24 Mar 08

Laser printers can be an alternative, providing that you are not looking for a all-in-one system and colour. Anything above something like (say) a basic Samsung for B/W can get rather expensive, and may not compete against a cheap all-in-one for occasional use.

Basic black powder Toner cartridges for my Samsung ML-4500 cost about £35.00+ unless you self refill, then it works out about a fiver.A little shake, if they are left standing for long periods, usually doe's the job. But it still doesn't do the same job as my all-in-ones though.

Totally-braindead 14:11 24 Mar 08

I'm an Epson user and really like them but because of the lack of use Epson is the one brand I really would avoid, as I'm sure you realise if you leave an Epson for this length of time the heads might well block up. In fact I can almost guarantee they will.

Canon used to have seperate heads that you replaced with the cartridge but I am unsure if this is any longer the case.

I appreciate what you are saying, you want an inkjet that has heads that are replaced with the cartridge but am unsure as to which manufacturers do this anymore.

A laser is a possability as long as photos are not the main requirement.

setecio 14:17 24 Mar 08

>>>> Basic black powder Toner cartridges for my Samsung ML-4500 cost about £35.00+ unless you self refill, then it works out about a fiver <<<<

Can you 'self refill' most laser cartridges ?
Where do you buy the toner from, is there cheap nasty toner and good toner ?
Is there a 'max number of times refill for a cartridge' ? (5,10,20 ?)

Gongoozler 14:42 24 Mar 08

setecio, have a look here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced