Best place for info on using a USB Crossover

woodchip 18:02 15 May 04

Best place for info on using a USB Crossover, to network Win98se Comp and XP home comp. Can one Modem, scanner, printers, be used by both. At the Moment I just us a USB link cable for file transfer

byfordr 18:14 15 May 04

click here click here Cheapest stores I found when buying crossover click here click here click here for cat6 crossover click here

Also label up your cables as crossover!

HTH

R

byfordr 18:15 15 May 04

Sorry didn't read your thread properly!

ensonricky 18:20 15 May 04

No real problems identifying the cables and look at the crimped ends and you'll see wht they call them crossover cables. i've found that some cheap cables can be a false economy with unreliable data transfer. Try and purchase Cat 5E cables guaranteed for Gigabit data transfer. I have found that Scan's cables are of paticularly good quality. I have also had no problems networking an XP home and win 98 computer.

woodchip 18:50 15 May 04

I have already got a USB crossover cable do I just use the direct link in windows or what

wawadave 18:56 15 May 04

woodchip Sat, 15.05.04 | 18:50
I have already got a USB crossover cable do I just use the direct link in windows or what

yes just use it as direct link.
you may still have to set up file shareing permissions etc.

woodchip 18:59 15 May 04

Is it that easy and would I be able to use Modem Etc in one computer

wawadave 19:08 15 May 04

hello
the usb cross over cable as far as i know is used only for transfering data from one computer to anther.i could be wround.
if your whating to share an internet conection between two computers the most common way it two nic cards(network intewrface cards) and a "cross over cable.
and all networking premissins will have to be used. heres some links on networking. not knowing your o/s this covers lots .
click here

other networking links
click here

networking in m.e
click here
more m.e networking
click here
networklab
click here
helpnet home
click here
hardware centeral titorial
click here
home help net
click here
practcaly networded m.e and w2k drivers for nic
click here
click here
click here
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
click here
Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP
click here
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Networking, Internet, & Administration
click here
Direct-Cable Connection Introduction
click here
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet Connection Sharing
click here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home Networking and the Internet
click here
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows XP Networking Features and Enhancements
click here
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wireless LAN Technologies and Windows XP
click here
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
click here

ensonricky 19:15 15 May 04

I presume its youe XP machine that is connected eo the modem/internet. Go to start>my network places>Set up home or small office network option on the right hand side and follow the resulting wizard. You could also access the wizard via the control panel. Follow the wizard and create a floppy to transfer your network settings to your win98 machine. Open the floppy when wizard closes in your win98 machine. You will be asked at some point if you want to load drivers for the printer on the win98 macine just say yes and you should be ready to go. some fine tuning as stated by wawadave may be required to set up your file permissions later.

Eric10 19:28 15 May 04

Woodchip, as you can see, there is an abundance of help on setting up an ethernet network but nobody seems to be saying that you can share a printer or modem over a USB connection. I haven't tried to do it as I already have a network but I doubt that it is possible as a USB connection is normally just used as a simple way of transfering files.

ensonricky 20:26 15 May 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…