Best place to buy a replacement CPU Fan

freaky 20:33 21 Jun 05

The fan on my old PC which has an AMD Athlon 1600 processor, has got rathey noisy despite cleaning it. The Fan is 60mm wide and screws into the fins on the heatsink. No luck at PC World, another shop was selling a very nice Fan complete with heatsink and variable speed fan for £20, but it was 80mm wide. Anybody know any stockists, or have any suggestions please.

VoG II 20:40 21 Jun 05
  Gongoozler 20:53 21 Jun 05

The processor fan is probably the least reliable part of a computer and they often fail after only a year or two. The easiest way to buy a fan is probably as part of a heatsink assembly and you can get a decent one for about £5 click here. You can unscrew the fan from the heatsink and fit it to your old heatsink without disturbing the processor. I'm using a very quiet heatsink with a large fan for quiet running and have been very pleased with it click here.
Some users get some extra life from a noisy fan by making a small hole in the label over the fan bearing and injecting a little oil.

Belatucadrus 00:44 22 Jun 05

click here good fan

sat481 08:11 22 Jun 05

I recently bought mine in Maplin...

click here

Here is a link to there site but they have stores all around the country to save P&P

Sat

Gongoozler 09:42 22 Jun 05

Hi freaky. I've just checked, and the Coolermaster CP5-6J31C click here does have a 60mm fan click here. So you should be able to take the new fan from that to repair your old heatsink.

freaky 09:57 22 Jun 05

Thanks for that, but I just beat you to it as I just ordered one !

freaky 11:06 22 Jun 05

Many thanks to all who replied to my post. I have taken Gongoozler's advice and ordered from Ebuyer the Coolermaster CP5-6J31C Socket A. Hopefully I should be able to detach this fan and screw it to the original heatsink.

Gongoozler 15:38 22 Jun 05

Hi freaky, if you're only replacing the fan, then you shouldn't have any complications. If you decide to replace the complete heatsink, be very careful to remove ALL the old heatsink compound from the processor. I once left just a tiny spot of old dried compound and the result was that I burnt out the processor, and because the slowest available was too fast for my motherboard I also had to replace that, and because all compatible motherboards needed DDR RAM I had to buy that. Very expensive for an almost invisible little speck.

freaky 20:56 22 Jun 05

Thanks very much for the tip, will bare that in mind. In fact I might have to replace the old heatsink if the screw holes on the cage of the new fan, do not line up with the gap between the fins on the old heatsink. As you are no doubt aware the self-tappers screw into this gap!! I am wondering if the Coolermaster comes supplied with the compound. Anyway I will 'climb that bridge when it comes'. Once again, thanks very much for your help. Will post the results once I receive the kit. Hope I do not repeat the trouble you encountered.

freaky 21:14 22 Jun 05

The problem you had with your CPU burning out might be because it was already partly damaged because of the fan problem, and would of happened anyway (small consolation!). I was checking my Gigabyte MOB handbook today, and noted that in the Bios settings you can enable a warning if the CPU temperature is excessive, this is disabled by default. I think that it might be prudent for me to enable it, especially with the current weather!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…