Best Performance your PC

kingkenny 21:49 20 Feb 03

Hello all,

This isn't a problem as such....but don't lose interest right away.

I wonder if all you guys out there would mind share any hints and tips on getting the best performance from your PC. Be it setup tips, storage tips or configuration tips. I am sure with the wealth of experience out there that there are hundreds of good suggestions.

I have a 1.8Ghz AMD, 60Gb drive, 256MB, with CDRW and DVD.

Also can anyone tell me a bit about Virtual Memory and any hints and tips on it's setup/best config

Cheers to all who respond

mcullum_DX4Life 21:55 20 Feb 03

set your virtual memory to 384mb minmum and 768mb max. Im not really sure how else you want to improve your performance or where you think you could edge out anymore. As long as you keep your drivers updated etc... then you should be getting almost optimum performance from your hardware. ;-)

Gaz 25 21:56 20 Feb 03

Disable the nVidia (if you have one) Graphics helper and you should expect to see a boot-up in seconds!!!

Also do a search on Microsofts site at click here for boot vis.

This makes your PC start even faster,

Also deleting some Services in Windows (be careful though) help speed up windows and make it more secure.

To do any of the above:

Start > Run > Type: msconfig

and click ok, then a box will pop up, click the services tab, be sure you know what you are disabling!!!

Give my optimising site a try: click here and click Win Tips.

powerless 21:56 20 Feb 03

What operating system?

Gaz 25 21:58 20 Feb 03

Thats what you need.

Pesala 21:59 20 Feb 03

This may surprise you, but more time is wasted waiting for keyboard input than the cpu spends time hanging about, unless you are doing cpu intensive tasks like video editing.

Learning to touch type and use keyboard shortcuts instead of the mouse for menu commands will speed up most of your work at least 200%.

kingkenny 22:03 20 Feb 03

I use the above OS

kingkenny 22:05 20 Feb 03

Thanks to all the above but still curious for more

Keep 'em coming

jazzypop 23:08 20 Feb 03

click here - and get another 256MB of memory, while it is so cheap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…