Best performance for operating system?

crampa 12:25 28 Jun 07

Is it better to have a bigger or smaller hard drive for my operating system?

I have an 80GB IDE or a 200GB SATA, which would be better for performance?

Cheers

I am Spartacus 12:30 28 Jun 07

I've just done a simple test on a 320GB SATA drive and a 250GB PATA drive. The SATA drive is about 60% faster.

FatboySlim71 12:31 28 Jun 07

I can't be certain but the SATA type should give you faster performance as SATA is a newer type of connection to IDE, also you are better using the 200GB one as its better to have more space than you need than not enough. You are limited to what type of hard drive connection you can use by your motherboard, so you would need to look on your motherboard to determine what type of connection can be used.

crampa 12:34 28 Jun 07

Ok, I will use the 200GB SATA 1. My motherboard allows me to use any hard disk, just by setting the priority levels so that isnt a problem...

Thanks for your help.

Batch 12:40 28 Jun 07

WRT the disk capacity affecting performance, it would depend on a variety of factors:

- The size (diameter) of the disk platter
- The number of disk platters (physical recording surfaces)
- The seek speed (i.e. how long it takes for the heads to move in and out across the disk)
- The rotational speed.

If all the above were equal, common sense suggests that bigger capacity is better in that the data must be more compressed and therefore on a defragmented disk with all the files are substantially grouped together the seek times would be lower as the physical distance needed to move across the platter is less.

Having said all that, SATA should be faster than IDE and a higher rotational speed should (must?) be faster and these might be considered the deciding factors. Other than that, check the specific specs of the drives concerned.

crampa 12:44 28 Jun 07

thanks I will do...

Can any of u guys answer this then...

"Operating System on a new hard drive?"

I am Spartacus 18:36 28 Jun 07

Not really because I'm not sure what you're asking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…