Best partion size

kevinjuan 10:40 06 Jan 06

Hi.

ABIT NF7s, AMD XP300+, 1Gb Ram, Geforce 6600gt 128mb.

I am planning on upgrading my pc and fittng a 160Gb SATA drive.
What sort of partion size sould I use for WIN XP.

It will be used as an all purpose machine, playing games, storing music, kids homework etc.

Should all these things be kept seperate from the windows partion?

Diodorus Siculus 10:45 06 Jan 06

That's a difficult question - my preference would be 15gb for the OS and the rest split into three of equal size.

Keep one for your music

One for your documents, emails, everything you want to store and keep.

The last can be used for storing images of the OS when it is installed cleanly - say create an image with Norton Ghost.

Some say that there is no need to partition but by doing the above you have a fairly clean system that will be easy to reinstall if necessary.

An external hard disk is the next thing that you might consider.

Chegs ®™ 12:08 06 Jan 06

Personal preferences are involved here,the OS on 10-15Gb,the games onto 20Gb(install with "custom" cfg)Music on 20Gb,documents only need a small partition,and images of the main C:\ drive wont be very big so 20Gb for them.I have just under 300Gbs of HD space,and have my OS on just 8Gbs,the rest of the space is partitioned for video/music/DVD's(until burnt to disc)images of C:,etc and for a while I was having trouble with Acronis TrueImage as I had actually run out of letters to assign to partitions. ;-))

kevinjuan 16:45 06 Jan 06

Diodirus & Chegs.

Thanks for the advice. Shouldn't any backups be made to seperate HD though?

woodchip 18:57 06 Jan 06

Have a Read

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

There should be something that helps

Diodorus Siculus 20:01 06 Jan 06

Better if backups are on a seperte drive; hence I susggested the external drive.

click here for a good guide to backups

kevinjuan 22:06 06 Jan 06

Diodorus. Sorry, I missed that. I should learn to read the whole post! Thanks for the link.

Woodchip. As helpful as ever, lots for me to read & consider.

Many thanks to you all.

Kevin.

VoG II 22:08 06 Jan 06

Why do you need to partition at all?

DieSse 22:54 06 Jan 06

I'm with VoG™ - there's no compelling reason to partition NTFS volumes.

DieSse 22:54 06 Jan 06

PS - Folders do the job just as well.

Chegs ®™ 23:07 06 Jan 06

I only go partition route as if I screw up(rather to frequently for my own good)the C:\ partition,then reloading everything back to a 120Gb drive would take a long time.I used to only have a single HD system,so I partitioned it as imaging apps cannot create an image to the primary partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…