is this the best option to take?

Jwbjnwolf 18:05 28 Oct 10

click here
this link will tell you what happened with my acer laptop and is why I have installed linux instead
i have mandriva linux 2010 spring and after a while of doing something like watching a movie or something it overheats and turns off
i never ever had that with windows
is it a prob with linux overall or just with mandriva and should i just change to a different disto?
It is something that I can cope with but I don't know if it is something that I should take action at this minite so that I still have that laptop in a few years time or is it something that i don't need to worry about.
I loooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee linux but it is if that laptop of mine can put up with it.
If it is best for me to go back to windows then because I have a hidden partition then can somebody tell me step by step how to get back to it.
the spectifications if you need it will be posted in part two as I don't know if alright for post length so can not have replys till finnished,thanks.

Strawballs 18:12 28 Oct 10

No I would say it is a problem with the laptop windows is more CPU intense than Linux so if you go back to windows you will have the same problem.

Jwbjnwolf 18:28 28 Oct 10

laptop is an acer aspire 5715
model number is icl50
ram is 2gb
If look at that thread I made link to it will tell you what exactly happened.
I do not know if same thing will happen if do the repair option in the linux cd but any suggestions will be really appreciated.
I love linux and much prefer it to windows security wise as don't need to do quater as much to make it secure but what concerns me most is will I have this laptop if i carry on putting up with it and I guess the most wise choice will be to act now before it's to late.
also to let you know that it took several atempts before I managed to fully install linux but now i know if my laptop struggles installing, do not continue.
This is really urrgant and I need some advise to what I should do, and in a way that it will not cost anything except the electric.

Jwbjnwolf 19:14 28 Oct 10

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS BEST FOR MY LAPTOP
EVEN WHEN VISTA POPED OUT TO SAY HELLO TO ME BEFORE I UNINSTALED IT AND INSTALLED MANDRIVA LINUX IT WAS ALRIGHT, NO OVERHEATING OR WHAT
SO PLEASE TELL ME IF I SHOULD TRY DIFFERENT DISTRO OR GET BACK VISTA FROM THE HIDDEN PARTITION,
I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT IT SHOULD BE ALRIGHT WITH WINDOWS.
PLEASE, CROSSBOW7 WERE EVER YOU ARE CAN YOU HELP ME?

bremner 19:22 28 Oct 10

First it is considered shouting and very rude to use uppercase.

I have never experienced Linux causing a machine to overheat and cannot imagine how an o/cs could actually do so.

You would be far better served dual booting the machine with Windows and Linux.

I would revert the machine back to it factory state i.e. Vista and then consider installing Linux on a second partition.

Jwbjnwolf 19:49 28 Oct 10

Sorry for using uppercase
does anyone know how I can find my hidden vista in the hidden partition and recover it like win 7 did?
I need step by step to find it as I was not watching win7 when it was recovering vista automaticaly for me, as it must of been on a timer and used the recover from hidden partition what ever it was after a certain time untouched(in startup repair)and how do I get to the hidden partition with linux installed?

bremner 19:56 28 Oct 10

1. Power on the machine
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
4. Click “OK” to continue
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit

Jwbjnwolf 20:00 28 Oct 10

THANK YOU very much
well appreciated
I will report back when have done that.

Jwbjnwolf 23:25 28 Oct 10

I am guessing that you have to have erecovery installed on the machine but I don't, can anyone tell me how else to get to that hidden partition of mine without needing a disk or anything

bremner 17:16 29 Oct 10

A quick google shows that your laptop should have erecovery but it may be not enabled in the BIOS. Have a look at the beginning of this click here

Another suggestion I saw was that it was Alt F11 to get it running - worth a try

Jwbjnwolf 16:35 01 Nov 10

is there an acer erecovery for installing on linux then and where from?

Want to stay with linux but does anyone know how I can stop my laptop from over heating?
click here
this thread on the mandriva forums was started by me and ok it has answers but I don't completley understand them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…