Best Method of Data storage

jpobrien 23:06 02 Aug 05

I would like to add some storage space to my system, in order that i can store Media files without clogging up my internal Hard Drive, as far as i can tell, i can do this either through an External Hard Drive (Preferably Wireless) or maybe (NAS) i have no idea what this is or how it works i have just come across it through google.

i would (hopefully) be using it with an MP101 media unit.

Any advice / suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

DieSse 23:36 02 Aug 05

External Hard Drive using a USB2 (or firewire if your system has it) is an excellent, widely available, simple to set up and use solution.

The wireless concept for hard drives is very new - I'd be surprised if any are actually on the market. Thus you'll get the expense and teething troubles associated with any brand new technology - I'd avoid it like the plague for now.

I've no idea what (NAS) is and can't find a reference to it anywhere.

DieSse 23:41 02 Aug 05

Aha - found NAS here click here|scd_nas|kA01|s

My comments about this are the same as for a "wireless hard drive". I addition I suspect they're aimed at small businesses rather than the home user.

jack 20:40 03 Aug 05

I echo DieSse- If you want a functioning system
Then last weeks technology will do fine.

Unless you have money to burn and simply lurve headaches that is

quack 22:40 06 Aug 05

Why not simply add another internal HDD and use it for storage. Or if you have a very large HDD already fitted. Partition it and use the partition for storing any files etc.

Forum Editor 23:07 06 Aug 05

Go for the external hard drive and leave NAS for now.

Belatucadrus 14:43 07 Aug 05

NAS drives click here will cost about twice as much as the equivalent USB/Firewire external click here nice, but expensive and unnecessary unless you really need network backup storage.

Diemmess 17:02 07 Aug 05

Keep it simple.

A large HDD of your choice and an external case unit with its own power supply and USB connection has 4 very real advantages.

1. It will cost best price for a 'standard' HDD plus < £30 for the case. (Overall less than you might have paid for the HD alone a year ago)

2. Data transfer is very rapid, many times that of a CD.

3. It doesn't load any extra power demands on your PC.

4. It only needs to be switched on when you transfer data to and from it, so could spend most of its time switched off if you choose.

Ancient Learner 20:20 07 Aug 05

Couldn't agree more. An external caddy complete with all electrical bits and integral fan for about £22 at click here

I've just bought one and fitted a hard drive. A very simple job to do. And works like you ewxpect it to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…