Best Linux to use from memory stick?

crashb648 10:40 AM 17 Nov 12

Hey there everyone!

I currently have windows xp installed on my computer downstairs, and Ubuntu upstairs. I was just wondering if there is a version of ubuntu or another linux that can be run from a memory stick, without duel booting or messing up windows?

Any queries don't hesitate to ask :)

bluesbrother 11:39 AM 17 Nov 12

Most folk, when they have some free time, watch tv or read a book.

Me, I put some music on, fire up the PC plug in a 8gb stick I keep for just these times and run Universal-USB-Installer and pick a Distro I haven't tried yet. They have quite a selection available from the dropdown box.

Universal-USB-Installer

I keep Linux Mint on a larger drive for everyday use. Its every bit as good as Win 7, better if you take in to account the free software thats available.

LastChip 13:06 PM 17 Nov 12

I too am using Linux Mint at the moment, but Ubuntu, SuSE and many others will work fine.

Simply use a distro you're comfortable with and use UNetbootin to create the USB stick.

The key really is; will the computer you want to boot via a USB stick allow it in the BIOS? Older machines often do not have that capability.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites