Best Linux to use from memory stick?

crashb648 10:40 AM 17 Nov 12

Hey there everyone!

I currently have windows xp installed on my computer downstairs, and Ubuntu upstairs. I was just wondering if there is a version of ubuntu or another linux that can be run from a memory stick, without duel booting or messing up windows?

Any queries don't hesitate to ask :)

bluesbrother 11:39 AM 17 Nov 12

Most folk, when they have some free time, watch tv or read a book.

Me, I put some music on, fire up the PC plug in a 8gb stick I keep for just these times and run Universal-USB-Installer and pick a Distro I haven't tried yet. They have quite a selection available from the dropdown box.

I keep Linux Mint on a larger drive for everyday use. Its every bit as good as Win 7, better if you take in to account the free software thats available.

LastChip 13:06 PM 17 Nov 12

I too am using Linux Mint at the moment, but Ubuntu, SuSE and many others will work fine.

Simply use a distro you're comfortable with and use UNetbootin to create the USB stick.

The key really is; will the computer you want to boot via a USB stick allow it in the BIOS? Older machines often do not have that capability.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11