best internet security suite out there

pookie 21:48 29 Dec 05

hi guys

i currently use zonealarm firewall free, avg anti virus free, spybot and adaware - free. having read various reviews whilst free versons are good they don't always hold up, and detect as well, as paid for versions. which, in your experience, do you think is the best all in one security package having firewall, anti virus and spyware detection - which regular updates eg something like mcafee security or norton or how about zonealarm internet security (all paid versions)? for info it's for one pc as home computer. ideally not spending more than say £50 and ideally not something were license has to be paid for each year for continued usage.

many thanks

P

Klappers 22:18 29 Dec 05

Norton Internet security suite is good. It's an all in one package with alot of features and regular updates but it's more than £50. I would say though that the 4 programs you have listed are more than enough to keep out any threats.
If you wanted to add some extra protection you could also install MS Antispyware ,which is free.

Belatucadrus 22:42 29 Dec 05

click here for a little light reading, though I don't like all in one suites and have never had any problems with the free AV packages, either InoculateIT, AVG or avast! and can't agree that a paid for package is better than the free versions. The free ones are variants of fully fledged commercial packages only with a few bits pruned off. So while some like NOD32 may be faster the fact that they're free isn't an issue. Indeed many of the pay for packages are markedly inferior.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:45 29 Dec 05

zonealarm firewall free, avg anti virus free, spybot and adaware

Add Ewido click here and you have the best there is.

Of course the paid for ones are going to tell you they are better, they want your money.

Diodorus Siculus 22:47 29 Dec 05

What you have, combined with common sense, is all that you need. Just be careful what you are doing and where you surf and you will be ok.

tommyturbo 01:15 30 Dec 05

My McAfee Sercurity Suite seems to keep me safe. Its always cleaning up Trojons, Viruses and Spyware.

Number 7 01:25 30 Dec 05

"best internet security suite out there"

Simple answer- there isn't.

Answer from Diodorus Siculus:
Follow his advice.

DieSse 02:18 30 Dec 05

AV packages are not all equally good. In one important respect, that of pre-signature update threats, performance varies wildly. These are vulnerability to viruses before the supplier issues an update.

NOD32 click here has been widely tested and found to offer MUCH better protection against these threats. click here

That's in addition to being " the only solution worldwide that has not missed a single “In-the-Wild” virus in the rigorous testing conducted by Virus Bulletin since May, 1998" and "With system speed a priority for positive gaming experiences, consumers seeking an antivirus solution for their 64-bit systems should note that the December Virus Bulletin tests showed that NOD32 performed twice as fast as the nearest competitor. Additionally, one of the world’s largest antivirus companies required four seconds per file scanned—over 1,000 times slower than the other products tested."

So how it can be said that others are equally as good escapes me, I'm afraid.

kro 03:09 30 Dec 05

DieSse - Excellent comment and good info.

pookie 11:08 30 Dec 05

cheers guys

Forum Editor 11:21 30 Dec 05

on a group of car enthusiasts and you'll be certain to hear spirited defences of various manufacturers and or models - each person finding positive points in favour of his/her particular favourites, and probably pointing to 'independent' surveys which back those opinions up.

So it is with anti-virus/security software. It has always been thus, and always will be.The truth is that any of the better-known protectors will probably make a perfectly good job of it, at least as far as the average home-use machine is concerned.

"What you have, combined with common sense, is all that you need. Just be careful what you are doing and where you surf and you will be ok."

is the best advice you could get - I recommend that you follow it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…