Best Hatsink/cooler

james1` 20:35 09 Sep 03

Can anyone tell me the most efficent cooler for AMD xp2500 barton core.Noise is irrelevent.

Thanks JiM

-pops- 06:52 10 Sep 03

It is always best to use those recommended by the manufacturer. They know best.

click here

james1` 14:38 10 Sep 03

Sorry pops apart from bad spelling i should have explained better.I already have a heatsink/fan, the one that came with the proccessor.In the Bios the hardware monitor says cpu temp is 50 c under idle.What i want a heatsink/fan that overclockers use just to lower the temp to 40c or under.The mb temp is 28c and i have added all the fans i can.
I should also add i have no plans to overclock.

-pops- 15:17 10 Sep 03

Check out the sites of the recommended heatsink makers and see what temperature figures they obtain.

Djohn 15:56 10 Sep 03

Sometimes too many fans can cause problems with airflow and defeat what you are trying to achieve.

I did some test of my own last week, tried all combinations of side panels on/off, intake and exhaust fans. My system consist of 1800XP and two 80g Maxtor drives at 72000 RPM. Starting temps. where CPU 52c Board temp 38c, readings taken from BIOS.

Both readings are acceptable, but I thought I could bring them down a little without increasing noise levels. I now have a system that is whisper quiet and very cool. CPU has dropped to 44c and system to 27c.

Only fans I have are, One good quality CPU fan, one fan in the PSU, and one extractor fan, top rear of case, running at 1500 RPM. I found the most improvement, both in noise and cooling came from one simple task.

I removed the standard metal fan guards that are present on most cases, this allows the air to be extracted without any obstruction. Before I removed these, I could feel the turbulence in the area of the fan by placing my hand near it [inside the case], there was so much that I found it difficult to tell if the fan was blowing in, or out of the case. I must say that the difference in temperatures and noise is surprising and far more than I expected. Regards. j.

james1` 20:23 10 Sep 03

Thanks for your replies, i was hoping that maybe some else lowered their cpu temp with for example a coolermaster or anther make and could recommend one.I cannot fit an exhaust fan but have fitted a inlet fan.

Djohn 20:38 10 Sep 03

click here 12 down on the page £25.00 is the one I used, approved and recommended b AMD. j.

Rayuk 20:50 10 Sep 03

Thermalright SLK800 or 900 though you have to be careful with the 900 as it doesnt fit all motherboards.
They come without fans so up to you how powerful a fan you get.
click here

Plus a run down on different h/sinks
click here

The Transporter 20:51 10 Sep 03

It is a mixture of case fans and cpu fans. As well as what thermal paste you use between the heatsink and fan.

I used to use Artic Silver 3 but now i use Shin Etsu Thermal paste from:

click here dropped my temps by 3 degrees all by itself.

I also found that with the Chieftec scorpio case with two front fans, a side fan and 2 exhaust fans it makes a lot of difference.

With the following setup. In my old case. Just one exhaust fan, thats all.

XP2700+ with Arctic Silver 3, Aero 7+, Abit Nf7-S v2 mobo Chassis was 33 Degrees C, and CPU was 53 Degrees C fully loaded.

Same setup but with new chieftec Scorpio Case, and Shin etsu thermal paste, it is 20 degrees chassis and 39 degrees C fully loaded cpu. Idle cpu is 34 degrees.

Also if you arn't overclcoking your cpu you can actually undervolt it. I run the XP2700+ on 1.575 volts Vcore instead of 1.650 Volts and it can still run Prime 95 non stop with no problems. This helps with temperature drops too. But only when fully loaded.

The coolermaster Aero 7+ is an excellent Cooler and it isn't very loud compared to others. You also do not need to fix it to your motherboard.

Any temps over 50 degrees arn't good. The temperatures i used above are on a summers day when outside air tempereature is about 25.

On a day like today with temps being about 20 the cpu runs at about 36 fully loaded.

One last thing, The shin-etsu thermal paste is the only paste that will not void your AMD warranty. Also the stock heat sink and fans is rubbish. (sorry amd, but it is). Ideally if you buy a boxed processor and fan, they should give you a fan thats more than up to the job, not one that just does enough.

Djohn 21:00 10 Sep 03

When I mentioned an exhaust fan, I didn't mean the PCI card type. I was referring to a 80m case fan that normally goes next to the PSU. There is generally an opening, and screw holes already provided for same. It's just that the hole is mostly covered by case metal, and this needs removing to improve the movement of air from the new fan. These cost £5.00 and connect to a small connector on the motherboard to give them power and a read-out in the BIOS.

If you are using an intake fan at the lower front of your PC, without a fan at the rear to draw the air out, then you may be causing a heat build-up inside the case that is just re-circulating and adding to the heat of the CPU.

The CPU fan that I have pointed you to is a duel fan, one either side of the supplied heatsink, They are extremely quiet in use. My PC is in the lounge and if it where not for the fact of a display being on the screen, then you would be convinced the system is turned off.

Several forum users live close by to me and when they pop round, have all commented on how quiet the system is. j.

Djohn 21:09 10 Sep 03

As The Transporter says, the supplied fans for AMD are quite basic. Yes, they are approved and will keep the temp. within the correct range, but need to spin very fast to do so, usually noisy as well. If you check the price of any AMD CPU with a supplied fan, it's only £4.00 to £5.00 more than one without. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…