best free virus checker

martd77 11:41 13 Jul 06

i suppose everyone will have their own opinions on this matter ,i currently use avg free which i find easy to update and use but the interface looks tired and outdated,the mail checker sometimes gets stuck when scanning outlook express e mails,
its done me well for the last two years but how does it rate amongst the other free virus checkers?
thanks

SANTOS7 11:47 13 Jul 06

click here
gets highly reccommended by most on this forum..

silverous 11:51 13 Jul 06

Avast better than AVG?

SANTOS7 11:54 13 Jul 06

nobody says it does, they are both very efficient FREE antivirus progs that are more than capable of protecting a home user PC..
I use AVG cos i say it first, could of been the other way round,

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:04 13 Jul 06

There is no point in getting into another lengthy debate about Avast or AVG. Spin a coin and choose either. They are both as good as each other.

G

FatboySlim71 12:07 13 Jul 06

You won't go far wrong by using either AVG or Avast, there both good. It may be a good idea to try both (but not both together) and see which you prefer.

martd77 12:21 13 Jul 06

thanks,i put avast on my lads internet computer when i connected him to the net,loaded the latest definitions but found the next day a couple of non malicious virus had slipped through some p2p software he was using so that sorta put me off and it appears to use more system resources than avg or can anyone tell me otherwise?
anyone used "anti vir" or any other product?

Jackcoms 12:26 13 Jul 06

"a couple of non malicious virus had slipped through some p2p software he was using"

I think the real answer to that is, not which AV program to use, but DON'T use P2P programs which are notorious for breeding 'nasties'.

You might also want to install some anti-malware software as well.

FatboySlim71 12:36 13 Jul 06

Yeah anti virus programs will only do so much, you need to have a few anti spyware programs installed and run these daily as Jackcoms rightly said "P2P programs are notorious for breeding 'nasties".

Try putting the following into your search engine and download them, these should provide you with a decent level of protection. A squared, Ewido, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy

SANTOS7 18:30 13 Jul 06

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
(all free) All these will go a long way to keeping your PC clean but at the end of the day you still have to be vigilant about where you point your PC in the first place, if you are not sure about a particular website try and get a bit of background info first.
As far as P2P sites are concearned "who dares does not always win"

thicasabrick 19:07 13 Jul 06

Santos, that is a very impressive list you have given links to. Would you advise installing and running ALL of them on my computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5