Best Free Software to Create Backup Advice

Mary144 14:54 03 Feb 10

I want to copy my entire system to an external USB hard drive before I replace my damaged internal hard drive (I am getting SMART failure imminent message on boot up). Once I replace the internal hard drive I want to copy back all my system data to the internal drive. I have read some previous posts that recommend XXCLONE and Driveimage but looking at the FAQs for these products I'm not sure they will allow me to do what I want. I wondered if anyone has used software in the way I would like to and can recommend something.

canarieslover 15:15 03 Feb 10

Try Easeus Todo copy software. Free and it will clone your hard drive. click here

birdface 15:19 03 Feb 10

Maybe get some advice on this.It is free for 24 hours.

click here

john bunyan 15:56 03 Feb 10

This thread may be worth a read. Most would agree that Acronis True Image 2010 (not free) is very good and worth paying for.

click here

I would take the opportunity of having two partitions on the new hard drive - about 60 gig for system and the rest for data (My documents) . For the latter I use FreeFileSynch which creates a mirror image of your data but you need other software for cloning or imaging system (programme) files.

Mary144 16:15 03 Feb 10

Thanks for the advice. I just called Western Digital support and they have an Acronis download for customers to backup and restore data from one drive to another, including an external drive, so I will give that a go.

Pamy 10:54 04 Feb 10

Mary144, the Weston Digital software will only backup your data and you have said you have done that .
If you do not have a CD with your operating system on it, you will not be able to install it.

You must have imaging software (free or bought) or a program to clone the whole HDD over to a new one

canarieslover 11:55 04 Feb 10

I have just used the Easeus ToDo software to clone my drive and, although I have not yet used it, it also offers back up and restore facilities. Seems a good alternative to Acronis and its free.

Input Overload 13:35 05 Feb 10

click here give away of The Day. Valid Friday 4 Feb only - EASEUS Partition Master 5.0.1 Professional Edition

Input Overload 13:36 05 Feb 10

Sorry buteman, missed your post.

DieSse 15:59 14 Feb 10

The Western Digital version of Acronis will do exactly what you want - click here

john bunyan 15:36 15 Feb 10

Not sure what OS you have. The WD Acronis is, I think, based on ATI 2009, and I am not sure if this runs with Windows 7 64bit. Maybe DieSse would comment.I bought ATI 2010 when I switched to W7 but maybe the 2009 version works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…