Best free protection on Vista

JaßîsFaß ˜ 13:54 02 Jun 08

Hi everyone, been a while since I've posted to the helproom.

My parents have ordered a new home PC, which comes with Vista. I'm still an XP user but would like some advice so I'm ready to help get them set up and protected.

With XP I would have installed ZoneAlarm (firewall), AVG 8.0 Free (Antivirus), Adaware SE Personal (adware).

Can anyone confirm if all these work ok on Vista as well, or if not recommend a best alternative?

Cheers

rawprawn 14:11 02 Jun 08

All OK, no problem

birdface 14:24 02 Jun 08

You will probably have to remove a few that come bundled with Vista.Maybe Norton.Windows Defender.AOL.others.My grandaughters laptop came with 25 programs starting in msconfig.Unfortunately I never had time to find out what they were all for.So you may have to remove a few of those.I hope you have used Vista before.It was a bit complicated for me.I suppose you get used to it after a while.I understand that Vista's own Firewall is pretty good so you might want to think about using that.If they are not used to Zone Alarm might be better leaving the original Firewall on.And maybe Superantispyware to go with Adaware.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 14:25 02 Jun 08

Cheers rawprawn. That is good news.

I'm aware of other scanners for virus or and adware etc, and ccleaner for clearing up the machine, but would you run anything else as standard on a regular basis?

sunny staines 14:27 02 Jun 08

do not forget spyware

i use spybot sd, cclener, & spywareblaster.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 14:27 02 Jun 08

Cheers buteman, I also use Superantispyware free, so if it's OK on vista too I may install that.

Halmer 14:37 02 Jun 08

there is a special Zone Alarm not the standard one that everyone uses on XP.

Halmer 14:40 02 Jun 08

click here

I use it on my laptop with no issues at all.

Halmer 14:44 02 Jun 08
  Halmer 14:56 02 Jun 08
  JaßîsFaß ˜ 17:51 02 Jun 08

Thanks to all who responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017