Best Free Firewall and Anti Virus + Spyware + Add

AbodeMilano 12:30 29 May 04

Now I have my broadband I have become a bit more aware of security. Is Zone Alarm the best free Firewall? I would also like a program that detects and removes ad/spyware, although surely the firewall would block this. I decided to format my pc as on my process bar on XP there were alot of things which I didn't think should be there and my zone alarm was blocking a program called aserv2 which was using multiple ip address and I had to click on no about 20 times to stop it.

Molded 12:51 29 May 04

Before using ZoneAlarm Pro and AVG Pro I used the free versions of both and will recommend them.

Spyware! I use AdAware.

Pop-ups! The new Google toolbar as well as being a usefull add-on has an excellent pop-up blocker built in.

MartinT-B 12:56 29 May 04

don't forget Spybot click here

VoG II 12:57 29 May 04

And Spywareblaster click here

rawprawn 13:20 29 May 04

Don't forget an antivirus click here is the one I like best

spuds 14:55 29 May 04

A selection of good and usually recommended Anti-virus,Firewalls,Spyware & Pop-up Stoppers available here click here

GaT7 15:56 29 May 04

You may be interested in these Firewall Group tests/reviews:

Free: click here

Paid for - some are FREE (& you can try before you buy with most): click here, click here= & click here.

SpywareBlaster is highly recommended as it blocks most scum (ad/spyware, hijackers, etc) from entering your PC in the first place as you surf. Remember to scan & check for UPDATES for all the programs suggested by everyone.

As you're on B'band you should be safe from rogue diallers. But to be safe disconnect the dialup modem cable & connect it only when you use dialup.

I use Norton Internet security which is a firewall+antivirus program which I've found excellent. [You can buy this at a good price from click here or eBay - click here.] HTH & good luck, G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…