best free firewall

Seth Haniel 12:10 27 Feb 11

What is best free program to stop unwanted internet traffic. Just got USB dongle with 500mb monthly bundle. But want to stop all and sundry programs connecting to internet and using up my quota. Just connecting and doing nothing and the MB are clocking up by trhe second !

bremner 12:21 27 Feb 11

"Just connecting and doing nothing and the MB are clocking up by trhe second !"

Your computer must be seriously infected if you are clocking up MB's by the second.

Seth Haniel 12:27 27 Feb 11

All latest virus & malware progs. Even though not been connected to web before. Just guessing its likes of quicktime, acrobat etc etc checking unessesseraly for updates.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:34 27 Feb 11

What op system?

WIndows 7 and vista have own firewall you can configure to stop outgoing traffic.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:36 27 Feb 11
  Seth Haniel 12:42 27 Feb 11

Will check up on its firtewall settings

Miké 13:28 27 Feb 11

These people do a front end for Windows own firewall, gives you a popup to allow or refuse new connections.

You only need the easy to use free version.

Miké 13:29 27 Feb 11

Forgot the link click here

ACOLYTE 13:59 27 Feb 11

I use Comodo firewall with win 7 ultimate 64 bit works great,and it is probably the best free one going atm imo,it has a lot of features and a lot of options so you can set it up to suit your needs.I have never really thought windows built in firewalls did the job as good as they should do.

Arnie 18:41 27 Feb 11

I use Comodo Internet Security Premium; including their firewall.

It auto-updates and I have never been pestered to pay for it.

So Afraid 19:52 27 Feb 11

Another vote for Comodo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video