best free firewall

pejay1967 10:23 29 Jan 08

hi folks running vista premium and use microsoft firewall can any 1 recomend a good free firewall or is microsoft firewall enough for my system

Stuartli 10:26 29 Jan 08

Vista version of ZoneAlarm (Free).

click here

rawprawn 10:27 29 Jan 08

I have never used anything else other than Vista Firewall since I bought Vista, and I have no problems. I would say make sure that you have a good AV, and don't worry about the firewall

anskyber 10:33 29 Jan 08

I agree with rawprawn if you are on Vista. If you have a router there will probably be a hardware firewall as well.

Many of the other firewalls are very "naggy", I uninstalled ZoneAlarm for that and other reasons.

Stuartli 11:53 29 Jan 08

I've been using the free version of ZoneAlarm for many years completely trouble-free.

anskyber 11:55 29 Jan 08

Vista, however does not need it. ZA is fine but can be intrusive. Personal choice really.

pejay1967 12:10 29 Jan 08

thanks folks i use a netgear wireless router
DG834GUK

anskyber 12:25 29 Jan 08

It has a hardware firewall, with the Vista firewall you will be very protected.

After a year of using vista I and many friends have concluded that it's best kept simple. The OS and it's features do the job. The only addition you will need is an antivirus program. I used Avast free and have used AVG free both work well.

I am however now using the 90 day trial of OneCare to see how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…