Best free firewall

El jimbo 20:49 18 Apr 05

I need a free firewall, which one is the best. In the past zone alarm blocked all internet connection and I had to remove it. I had the same problem with nortons and the ntl helpline were familiar with this and advised me to remove it.

stalion 20:50 18 Apr 05
  pj123 20:59 18 Apr 05

Well again, this can only be personal preference.

I also had ZoneAlarm and it started playing up, so I uninstalled it. I went for Sygate as posted by stalion but after a while I started getting problems again. I then tried Outpost as recommended by the FE but that also started giving problems. I have now gone back to the latest version of Zonealarm and so far it has been very good. I am on NTL Broadband.

theodor 21:11 18 Apr 05

I use Zonealarm on NTL Broadband with no problems inspite of NTL telling me to uninstall it!

dogbreath1 21:14 18 Apr 05

I like Zone Alarm. But click here for a basic comparative list.

Pooke100 21:18 18 Apr 05

Had ZA and Norton, lots of problems, now using Sygate free firewall. Guess what.....No Problems.

But anyhow this argument on best of firewalls and AVs is endless, just goes on and on.

My advice is that it's down to preference. Choose one and try it for a while, see how it goes. If you like it then keep it.

Belatucadrus 21:21 18 Apr 05

click here Kerio is good.

garrema 21:26 18 Apr 05

per title

keith-236785 21:49 18 Apr 05

i use zone alarm pro (paid for), avg free edition

ZA and Norton will not happily live together on MOST systems (there will always be exceptions).

along with other security stuff ZA is used to protect my system and has done for many years.

one thing though, if you have a home network, ZA free edition will not support the network, Pro version does and only costs around the £23 mark for two years.

all down to personal preference, try a few (one at a time) and see which you like the best.

Giantsquid 22:30 18 Apr 05

Sygate, does what it says on the tin.
Depends if it sits on your computer well, it always has on mine, it needs hardly any attention and does it's job for me.
Good luck,

El jimbo 23:21 18 Apr 05

Guys, guys, thanks! I have used outpost, but after 30 days they wanted me to pay. I have downloaded and am using sygate. See how it goes.
Parting question: does a firewall interfere with printers?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…