Best free antivirus & firewall 2010

zeppman 12:38 05 Jun 10

At present I am using Avast 5.0.545 free version which I use with Comodo 4.1.firewall.Can anyone tell me If there are any better AV or firewall about.

fsbb 13:07 05 Jun 10

Anti Virus = Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). As good as the rest, if not better. I have used this for approx 12 months on 4 PCs and it has blocked all threats. Install it and forget it. Download from MS site.

I have a wireless router which has it's own built in firewall, therefore I just use Windows firewall and have done for years with no problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:54 05 Jun 10

If your using Vista or W7 then
windows built in firewall + MSE for real time protection
and something like Malwarebytes for a weekly scan and you will be well protected.

For XP MSE is OK but the firewall needs replacing with something like ZoneAlarm.

zeppman 16:59 05 Jun 10

I'm using XP pro SP3

thumbscrew 19:31 05 Jun 10

MSE and Ashampoo Firewall.

ste76 20:17 05 Jun 10

Panda Cloud Antivirus and Zonealarm.

thumbscrew 21:47 05 Jun 10

Re Panda...yep...good reviews.

rdave13 22:32 05 Jun 10

Firewall for XP I'd suggest PC Tools Firewall Plus (Norton based).
Your Av (Avast) is excellent.
MSE is ok but if you don't use your computer for a few days sometimes MSE won't load properly. I dual boot and seldom use XP and faced with this problem dumped it. Im my humble opinion it's not very good.
For blocking sites then Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster.
Two essential free antispyware programs, which you will need to update and run manual scans, are Malwarebytes antimalware and Superantispyware.

ZoneAlarm I have tried and dumped. Same with Panda. Comodo was good but now over the top in my opinion. Just my suggestions and hope you'll find the best for your set-up.

Noof 14:30 25 Jun 10

I prefer ProteMac NetMine for Mac OS.

Atlantic Man 15:22 25 Jun 10

Best software to use for 2010

Anti-Virus = Avira Anti-Vir ( update weekly )

Spyware = Malwarebytes ( update every 2 weeks )

Windows firewall, check exceptions to allow only necessary software, internet access.

In control panel:
Cancel Automatic updates, because it’s never really required to update. If everything works- then why update and cause compatibility issues.

You will never have a problem again....

cheers

Belatucadrus 16:39 25 Jun 10

Not really good enough any longer, my systems all check for updates every 60 minutes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…