best free antivirus

collinsc 08:57 21 Aug 07

What is the best free downloadable antivirus?

Thanks

johnnyrocker 09:00 21 Aug 07

you will find many varying answers such as avg etc, personally i use avast but it is a matter of preference, there are many in the download section of this site.

johnny,

collinsc 09:07 21 Aug 07

thanks johnny

Robboshef 12:50 21 Aug 07

I find AVG Free Anti Virus more than useful. In terms of freebees i also find lavasoft ad-aware a great free anti-spy ware software!

Hope that helps!

collinsc 13:09 21 Aug 07

thanks robbo

griffon 56 13:11 21 Aug 07

Hi collinsc,

AVG beat all the other freebies but fell short of Kaspersky and Steganos in a recent magazine test (I think it was Computer Shopper, but can't remember). There is a free and a paid-for version with bells and whistles.

I'd recommend the following,
Zone Alarm firewall,
AVG antivirus,
Ad-Aware, Spybot, A-Squared, AVG, XP Anti-spy from Microsoft anti-spyware
SpywareBlaster to avoid known spyware sites.

They are available from their own sites located from a Google search or from click here or from click here. I've been using them for years and years and have had no virus or spyware problems in that time.

If you do get infected and can't recover by quarantine/delete techniques then Hijackthis from click here will produce a log which can be analysed by experts at the Hijackthis Forum and advice given to clean your machine. Hope this is useful.

griffon 56 13:16 21 Aug 07

Hi Again, Re-reading my post it looks as tho' the anti-spyware is all from Microsoft. It isn't, just the XP Anti-spy. Sorry about that.

collinsc 13:32 21 Aug 07

Thanks for all the info- very useful.

Belatucadrus 13:46 21 Aug 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5