Best, free anti-virus, firewall & anti-spyware????

Triprajul 22:11 11 Apr 10

Greetings:

I just had my computer formated again. The technician/friend who did the work told me that I needed a good anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware program. I told him that I previously had AVAST! (which was recommended on this Forum and which I liked immensely) but when he checked the AVAST! website, he pointed out to me that the free version only gives anti-virus protection but no firewall or anti-spyware protection. He especially feels that the firewall is essential security. Well, does anyone know where I can download for free a program that gives excellent anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware protection? BTW, I welcome your comments on what technician/friend said. Do you agree or disagree with what he said? Thank you in advance for any advice given.

john bunyan 22:15 11 Apr 10

Is this a different question to the one answered in this thread of yours?
click here

john bunyan 22:18 11 Apr 10

For me:
Firewall : PC Tools
Anti Virus: MS Security Essentials
Anti Malware: Malawarebytes and (for 32 bit) Superantispyware.
Plus CCleaner.
All are free versions.

Belatucadrus 22:37 11 Apr 10

No Firewall : True but easy to fix click here
anti-spyware protection : Wrong click here avast! free doesn't lose the anti spware protection, though you can back it up with Malwarebytes if you want more.

Triprajul 22:39 11 Apr 10

Greetings:

Yes, this is a different question because before I only asked about a free anti-virus program. Howvever, now (after being prompted by my friend the technician), I am requesting info about the best free anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware program. Sorry, if I seem to be asking the same question but in actual fact, my questions are, I hope, different.

Also, can I use these progams (namely, Firewall : PC Tools, Anti Virus: MS Security Essentials, Anti Malware: Malawarebytes and (for 32 bit) Superantispyware. Plus CCleaner) at the same time or will they conflict with each other?

Finally,what does "and (for 32 bit) Superantispyware" mean? Please forgive me. I am a novice at computers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:30 11 Apr 10

If you running Vista or windows 7 use windows firewall (built in) and MSE

If your running XP use
Firewall Zonealarm click here
Antivirus - Avast click here

MAlware - windows defender click here
realtime

Back that up with Malware bytes or superantispyware free (on demand scanners) and SpywareBlaster as a blocker click here

Don't scan more than one at once as they will interfer with each other

john bunyan 12:17 12 Apr 10

You want one firewall, one anti virus, and a couple of anti malwares. My suggestions were for W7, and I am sure Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's are equally ok for xp. Re 32 bit, operating systems - Windows 7 or XP come with two "bit depths" 32 and 64. 64 enables the use of more than 3 gig RAM. I find with the current free SAS there are issues with my 64 bit system. You can see what you have in "System properties" in Windows 7.If you have 32 bit, I think SAS plus Malawarebytes are a good pair of anti malware programmes.

Patrik 13:54 26 Apr 10

What about me,i use ProteMac NetMine.It's firewall for Mac.It's helps me a lot,for protect my Mac.

Rahere 14:43 26 Apr 10

Bear in mind that Windows has it's own basic firewall which will probably be fine if you connect via a router which often has it's own firewall, if that uses NAT you have a good level of protection already.

I use Comodo Firewall/Internet security suite for me: it has added protection of Defence+ active protection. Otherwise PC tools Firewall seems well rated too.

NB Zonealarm used to be good many years ago but not anymore according to Matousec tests click here

AV - Avast free or Microsoft's own

I also use SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D Immunize to harden my browsers.

Recent hacker tests seem to indicate Google's Chrome browser may be the safest at the moment.

orsta 19:13 26 Apr 10

What about Comodo's Interner Security package. covers the lot and it is free.

Back it up with malwarebytes, SAS or spybot.

c

Halmer 20:25 26 Apr 10

combined is excellent. I use it on my XP and Vista machines and have yet to have an issue (fingers crossed) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…