Best free Anitvirus for new Laptop?

hawthorn59 14:26 29 Dec 08

Hi

My new laptop came with Norton which I will be uninstalling shortly (based on past recommendations). Just wondering what free AV to use? I was using AVG up to 7.5, but I believe from 8 on it can be troublesome.

Im thinking of Avast or Avira. Your thoughts?

I know windows firewall is good, but what else do I need? Anti Spyware....something for malware etc??

many thanks and happy new year

h

howard64 14:30 29 Dec 08

I had trouble updating avg8 so went for avast. It seems fine and tells me each morning that it has updated.

birdface 14:35 29 Dec 08

Anti-spyware.Malwarebytes Free.A squared.Spywareblaster.I tried Avast did not like it so went with AVG.Its free does a good job but I preferred the 7.5 version.

Belatucadrus 14:36 29 Dec 08

I have a distinct preference for avast! but the others are both good and have their supporters on the forum.
But just to muddy the waters, you could also consider
Rising click here
or
Comodo click here

User-1229748 14:42 29 Dec 08

just the vista firewall,avira and the included windows defender for me :o)

birdface 14:42 29 Dec 08

The best thing about AVG is the scanning.If you are going out you can set it to scan your computer and as long as you have ticked the box it automatically powers down the computer when the scan is finished.I wish more programs would do the same.A lot of folk trying Avira with some good reports and the odd bad one.I think Avast takes far to long to do a full scan but then I have and oldish computer that does not help.

Marko797 14:51 29 Dec 08

Avast.

I had AVG 8 Free but like many on here had issues with the updates not working, so switched. In my experience AVG (when working) took far longer to scan, but this depends on how many files u have on ur PC.

Border View 16:47 29 Dec 08

I've been with Avast for ages having changed from AVG. I find it excellent.

pompyx 16:56 29 Dec 08

I have used Avast for some time, it does the job for me.

wjrt 17:48 29 Dec 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos