Best Firewall?

daz74 12:40 13 Apr 03

Hi,iam just about to go AOL broadband in a week or so and want to know what is the best firewall program to use,i am running windows me.

Thanks Darren

BeeWee 13:08 13 Apr 03

i'm on ntl broadband and use zone alarm..(free version) it has never let me down!
click here

loder 13:16 13 Apr 03

try some free ones click here and
click here both quite good. they both
have pro versions as well.

worf 13:21 13 Apr 03

Before purchasing a Firewall you may want to have a look at this link. It gives details of which firewall contains what.
Personally I use ZA Pro.

click here

spuds 13:25 13 Apr 03

I use the freebie ZoneAlarm, never let me down yet, and I have used it a long time now. Just converted to the latest upgrade,would fully recommend this product.

Belatucadrus 13:50 13 Apr 03

Kerio 2, unlike other free versions it isn't cut down in any way and its got a good manual available to download. click here

huzzar 15:07 13 Apr 03

ZoneAlarm Pro for me too. Doesn't need a manual.

-pops- 15:11 13 Apr 03

On the recommendation of the Forum Editor here, I use Outpost click here

It's free.

It Works.

It's unobtrusive.

powerless 15:28 13 Apr 03

If you use Zonealarm make the following changes.

Start > Programs > Starup > Right Click > Properties > Make the change in "Target"

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe" -nosplash

You add the " -nosplash" There is a space after .exe" <space>

This will stop a splash screen appearing when Zonealarm loads and when you are in Zonealrm make this change...

Alerts and Logs > Main > Select "off" any alerts you recieve will not make a popup appear disturbing you.

When you first run Zonealrm you'll have program access popup appear. Any program that asks for the internet will cause this. It's a one time setup...

But make sure you tick the box "Remeber this answer the next time i use this program.". Then click yes, this way each time a program goes for the internet it will not keep popping up.

On the other hand click No to stop it accessing the internet.

click here for scores.

-pops- 15:36 13 Apr 03

Blimey! Didn't have to do all that when I put Outpost in.;-))

powerless 16:02 13 Apr 03

Well when you install Zonealarm you get given a tutorial so you can make most changes from there...

From memory anyway.

Then it's just a case of setting program/sever rights, when a prgram wants the internet.

The splash screen is just personal choice of mine you can have it or remove by doing the above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…