Best firewall?

Pier1 14:58 28 Feb 03

Hi, this has probably been asked several times, but as you know it's been really difficult to search for threads recently on PCA...

Experienced guys - what do you think is the best FREE firewall?

I need to get some opinions because Tiny is apparently not very stable and ZoneAlarm has issues with my home network.

Legolas 15:04 28 Feb 03

I run Zonealarm on my home network but it needs to be set up take a look at this thread click here

deepblueuk 15:10 28 Feb 03

sygate

MartinT-B 15:19 28 Feb 03

I have tried ZA, Sygate and Tiny in the past 18 months or so.

My Preference is ZoneAlarm

crocodile36 15:23 28 Feb 03

Using two different computers, onw ith a DSL connection and the other with a dial-up modem, Zone Alarm slowed the speed of the connections. Using it with ADSL, the speed appeared to be similar to a 56K dial-up. Removing Zone Alarm cured the problem, but I had to reformat the hard drive to get rid of it.

JoeC 15:27 28 Feb 03
  suburban train 16:15 28 Feb 03

i use sygate personal firewall, ive had a go with zonealarm its good but personally i think sygate is the one to go for

SOFTWARE SID 16:41 28 Feb 03

You mention that you're into home networking which complicates things a little I guess.

On my bog-standard stand alone, I'm currently using Zone Alarm Free - also tried Agnitum Outpost with good results too.

Both of the above I would rate higher than Norton PF (certainly the 2001 version at least..)

961 16:55 28 Feb 03

I tried Sygate recently when I had trouble with a new update of Zone Alarm. However, Steve Gibson seemed to find chinks in some ports and eventually Zone Alarm brought out another update and I gave it another go. No problems now and no chinks either. Use Mailwasher and AVG as well and they are all going fine

jazzypop 17:05 28 Feb 03

Definitely Sygate - ZoneAlarm is still way too 'buggy' for me.

See click here for a good comparison.

dth 17:15 28 Feb 03

I was always a big fan of Zone Alarm but moved to Outpost when I bought Windows XP. As it took a long while to shut down the P/C when Zone Alarm was running. I then tried Sygate - again another good firewall but a long time in shutting down.

Give Outpost a try - it is a good firewall, not very heavy on system resources and has a few nice little extras like add blocking etc..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos