best external hard drives for backup.

alibob1526 15:38 20 Jun 10

I wish to backup a new HP laptop & a dell dimension 2400 desktop. I have made three dvd's to backup the laptop but I am thinking of backing up both machines to an external hard drive. I know nothing about hard drives, so can anyone reccommend a reasonably priced hard drive,? what should I look for?

mgmcc 19:36 20 Jun 10

There are basically two main types of USB 2.0 drive - (a) standard ones which have their own power supply and incorporate a 3.5" PC hard drive and (b) portable ones which use a 2.5" Laptop drive and are powered by the USB port.

I have a couple of the "portable" ones (each 250GB) and all of my computers are backed up to these using "Acronis True Image" software. One of my drives is an Iomega and the other Seagate.

Ford Prefect 01 12:05 21 Jun 10

I bought one of these, mainly because we have 2 laptops and a desktop. As it has an ethernet connection you can connect it to a router, and back up each machine to it.

click here

sunnystaines 13:03 21 Jun 10

looks good. can you boot a laptop from it and install an earlier image or clone of the laptop hdd

Kevscar1 13:26 21 Jun 10

I would recommend Maxtor make got 2, 1 over 7 yrs old never had a problem.

alibob1526 17:01 21 Jun 10

Thank you to those who responded to my query, a little help goes a long way. Thank you.

Ford Prefect 01 17:45 21 Jun 10

I must be honest, I don't know. I have not had to find out the hard way yet, and I hope I don't!!!

jack 19:40 21 Jun 10

A caddy containing a Smsung SP2514N - 200Gb
and an assortment of naked drives' that I keep various 'stuff' on
These I connected via a powered USB/IDE cable on an as and when needed.

cheap to fix 22:54 21 Jun 10

all external hard drives are the same, the best to go for is which hard drive brand is being used inside and not the look.

I recommend a non mainpowered ex drive
1) reduce the cables
2) reduce the likelyhook of power failure or fails
3) reduce the bulky size

2.5" external hard drives use only 1 cable of usb to both power and connect the drive.

for light use a maximum of 250GB (2 years of bakup
for data hungry a maximum of 1tb (vary)

Kevscar1 23:02 21 Jun 10

Unless you have a high PSU with alot of spare power you need mains powered drive.

jack 08:44 22 Jun 10

Especially if used in conjunction with a laptop.
Self powered is best - the lappy will be stuggling to keep is self going with out the extra load.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…