Best desktop file search (Copernic not cutting it)

Jdoki 20:32 20 May 05

Hi all

Anybody know of a good desktop search tool? Or is Copernic the best?

I'm using it at the moment but finding that it doesn't quite hit the mark - I think it's the separation of web and file search - I'm ideally after something which searches my local machine AND the web in one go and presents the results.

Can Copernic Desktop Search do this, or are there better tools out there?

Thanks in advance

Technotiger 20:37 20 May 05

Hi, maybe worth a look here ?

click here

Jdoki 22:25 20 May 05

Thanks for the link. Will have a look shortly.

Also, I should have mentioned that indexing of OpenOffice documents would also be nice, if anyone knows of a tool that can do this it would be much appreciated. Copernic seems lacking in support for these file types...

about:blank 23:37 20 May 05

Google Desktop search does it for me click here

and im sure theres a plug-in for indexing openoffice documents click here

enjoy

wjrt 14:39 21 May 05

mentioned some time ago in here was this

click here

worth a go perhaps

Dae 20:59 21 May 05

Here is a quotation from an April 2003 posting by Tom Porterfield, a MS MVP, which may help.

" ..the search tool in XP has a problem. If the extension you are searching isn't registered with Windows so it knows how to search in the file, then it simply doesn't try to look in that file for the text string...ways around this... is to use a better search tool. I like Agent Ransack, a free search tool from click here"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…