Best defrag utility?

hugeb 17:08 17 May 04

Can anyone help me with a queery? When there not a system which moves all the system files & swap file to the beginning of the drive.
Using diskkeeper lite I see that my system files are about 5GB into the drive with the swap file somewhere about 7Gb. My system ( laptop XP 2.6 Athlon 512MbDDR 60GB HDD) is very slow and wonder if the location of these system files etc would have a bearing on the speed?????

Gaz 25 17:18 17 May 04

However the XP defrag is a nice lite version, and does a good job.

GaT7 18:12 17 May 04

You could temporarily disable your swap file (or Virtual memory), say 'Yes' to the warning that displays. Click on Apply, OK. Reboot your PC. Now run Diskeeper. After DK completes, restore your Virtual memory settings to its original (so make a note what it was set to before disabling above). Reboot your PC.

For more info of the above click here, scroll down to 'Defragment the Paging File'. The article itself is useful & also tells you how to change the swap file's location & size for maximum benefit. Also see - click here & click here for WinXP performance issues. Good luck, G

GaT7 18:27 17 May 04

click here & click here for WinXP optimisation guides.

Also check for ad/spyware if you haven't already done with Adaware click here, Spybot-S&D click here & CWShredder click here. After installing them, UPDATE first, then run scans. Also d'load & install SpywareBlaster click here, that keeps most scum off your PC in the first place as you surf. Enable protection after installing. All the programs are freeware. Remember to scan & check for UPDATES regularly.

€dstowe 18:49 17 May 04

Best defragmentation utility I've used is PerfectDisk. you can get a fully functional 30 day trial from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…