Best combination of security apps?

Completealias 17:34 01 Jul 05

OK have just gone on to broadband and have set my pc up with zonealarm, avast, a2, ms antispyware, adaware and spyware blaster.

Am using firefox as my browser(very impressed with it by the way) and have windows fully updated. Am also using cleanup as my cleaner

I just wondered if anyone had any other apps that I should add to the list or a better combination to go for.

Cheers all

Nelmon2k 17:42 01 Jul 05

Sounds like you've got it all covered.

De Marcus 17:47 01 Jul 05

Agree with Nelmon2k, you have all you need.

Completealias 17:58 01 Jul 05

Cheers for that guys was pretty sure I had all the base's covered just wanted to double check

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:01 01 Jul 05

You have more than enough....

I have not run a firewall for 3 years and I use AVG free version, which I swear by. I have had no BHO's, worms, viruses, Trojans etc., the computer is connected to the net most of the time as well. Now this is nothing to do with deep knowledge; all I do is follow a few simple rules that anyone with 10 minutes to spare could pick up...and they need little computer knowledge only 4 or 5 free programmes plus a modicum of common sense.....

1) do not accept offers of free 'browser helpers' or any browser add-ons, weather bugs, news trackers unless they are from Google, MS, Copernic etc. If you are unsure post here. You will have an answer within an hour and you can live without the programmes for this long.

2) Only download from reputable would not be a suitable source whereas Microsoft and PCA may be considered OK. Again, post here for advice.

3) Lay off the Pr0n sites UNLESS you do NOT click on any 'accept', 'yes', 'vote for this site' and 'would you like to download this useful activeX programme' boxes.

4) If you have kids tell them not to accept files in MSN or download ANY free programmes from kids sites. Inform them that file swapping scantily clad pics of Britney Spears that their friends have downloaded from gawdknowswhere, is to be avoided and will probably make them go blind and daft in later life. I have a feeling that many Trojans and worms are the result of children downloading stuff. I cannot prove this but there is a definite, marked trend in all the computers that I see.

5) Avoid the 'make cash quickly' sites that ask you to d/l 'helper' software. There is NO way to make cash quickly on the net so going to these sites are the reserve of the incredibly stupid and naive who cannot be trusted with money thus deserving to lose it all.

6) Keep up to date with the windows patches, most of them tend to be for network glitches but downloading them will not harm....turning on auto window updates will help for the lazy/absent-minded. A swift manual check on the Windows update site every Preston Guild will not harm.

7) Download Microsoft antispy click here. It is free, has real-time protection and I am very impressed. Run it weekly or whenever you get the urge. A swift run, once a week with Adaware will help as well (there are many other progs such a spybot and spywareguard)

8) Ccleaner click here ..... running it everyday will help keep the history files and temp files sparkling clean.

9) Keep your AV updated. There are free or paid for versions available for home users. personally I cannot see the point in paying but each to their own.

Following the above takes a few minutes each week. None of the above is rocket science but it does involve a LITTLE personal responsibility. This is basically what I do and I never have any problems (naturally I never visit Pr0n sites ;-)) ). It is worth remembering that all the above programmes can be run in the background whilst you are surfing or typing up the latest Village Fete poster, so there is no excuse. I always recommend this regime to anyone that I visit.

Completealias 18:09 01 Jul 05

Cheers for that Gandalf some top notch advice

Curio 18:48 01 Jul 05

well worth having. Passing it on to a young relative.

nd33cfc 21:21 01 Jul 05

Excelent advice Gandalf. Thank you.

Danoh 21:25 13 Jul 05

I have helped repair friends’ family (teenagers) PCs who had no firewall but with anti-virus programs and broadband connections. I have always found viruses and Trojans undetected by their existing software. Some Trojans required a complete reinstallation as the tools I had could not dislodge them.

But I was astounded that there were two families, one of which admittedly does not have teenagers (yet), had no firewall and nor even A/V in one case, and there was no malware of any sort to be found (their problems were due to other causes).

Both families had very different internet and email usage but they were the only ones using AOL as the ISP and almost exclusively use AOL software.

With only just over 10 families as a basis, I can not offer any concrete conclusion.

Personally I don’t think its practical nor desirable to curb teenagers natural curiosity too drastically. I pass on the same advice, rather than rules to my own boys. And sure enough things do get messed up. All I insist on is that they learn to clean up the mess they have created, and it soon gets boring enough that they have more or less stopped.

GANDALF <|:-)>, I hope you don’t mind my contra views, as you are clearly passionate about yours. I just think it’s dangerous to give the impression that everyone could do without an effective firewall and anti-malware (including anti virus) software. I do not have experience of loads of different family PC installations. But I have come across enough that clearly mitigates against yours as being a generic scenario.

Danoh 21:27 13 Jul 05

Oh, and I have no affiliation of any sort with AOL.

AngeTheHippy 11:50 17 Aug 05

I use both ad-aware and spybot regularly; earlier, both reported no probs. I then read on this thread about MS antispy s/w, d/loaded it and... it found an edonkey bit of malware... could THIS have been responsible for my connection being dialled when I'm working off line?? I'm keeping this bit of s/w anyway!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…