//some 3rd party need geo

best CD/R for long term storage of data?

edennorman 13:00 05 Feb 04

Hello

I store a mix of data and MP3's on CD/R, mainly data, in the past I used an off the shelf brand well known in this country (UK) called Imation. Problem was I checked out my collection of CD/R and 18% of them showed data errors and some of them could not be accesed at all, though I tried several CD drives. These CD/R were all under three years old. Some of the material I need to put onto CD is sooooooo important to me. so I have to find the best CD/R to store this material on.

I've done a bit of research on the net, and it seems to come down to a variety of factors, primarily what kind of dye is used in the manufacture.
I've heard very good things said of MAM-E Gold ProStudio CD/R which uses a phthalocyanine dye, and equally good things spoken of TAIYO YUDEN CD/R. But the good things were in the main spoken by the companys about themselves.

So thats why I come to the forum, where I hope to get the opinion of the people that matter, those who buy the CD/R's.

Some have mentioned Verbatim as being a good bet...what type please? And do you know what dye is used in their manufacture?

In passing I wonder what type of CD software manufactures use? I have many of that type of CD which are over 8 years old and still giving no problems...they all seem to be a matt silver colour?

Your input is very much appreciated, thank you.

eden

Chegs ® 13:39 05 Feb 04

We originally discussed CD longevity here (
click here ) , and later
revised that information when it came to light that some glue-on labels
can ruin a CD in just months (see
click here).
Because CDs (and now DVDs) are often used for long-term data storage,
this is a matter of great concern.

To date, the primary source of information on CD/DVD longevity has been
the manufacturers themselves. Of course, they have a vested interest in
minimizing the dangers and playing up the positives.

But now we have word from an independent source: the "Digital
Preservation Program" sponsored by the US National Institute of Standards
and Technology:

This is from slashdot... This is fairly exhaustive (and the
potential pun actually applies).---Glenn Charles

Guide to Digital Preservation from NIST
posted by michael
click here

Little Hamster writes "The scientists working on the Digital
Preservation Program at the National Institute of Standards and
Technology (NIST) has released an excellent 50 page guide (
click here
ingGuide.pdf ) on care and handling of CDs and DVDs for long
term storage. It talks about the effects of light, moisture,
radiation, scratches, marking, adhesive labels, and even
playback on the discs. For those slashdotters not familiar with
the physical make up of these optical discs, there is a very
nice chapter explaining all the background. And if you only
want to know how to care for your precious data, there is a one
page summary (
click here ). And
yes, they agreed that glued-on labels are harmful."

edennorman 15:13 05 Feb 04

Thank you Chegs
A lot of useful information here, but I would still be interested in hearing opions and recomendations for particular CD/R based on users experiences, thanks so much for the info, it will help to clarify some things.

eden

Diemmess 16:08 05 Feb 04

Worried by failure to read 2 important data disks and then a music compilation which failed about halfway, but would still play on a conventional CD player. I saw a thread about a month ago which gave a link to a research outfit which had tabled a list of manufacturers and brands with the results of trials.

Unfortunately I had no part in the thread but I printed out that table.

The test was made by straight recording, and checking. A very few failed even this!

Then the CDs were exposed to artificial ageing being subjected to repeated changes of temperature and humidity. I can't remember if exposure to light was involved.

The table was divided into disks of Quality, medium quality and low quality.

The snag (to me) was that most of the big-name BRANDS were manufactured by more than one MANUFACTURER, some of which fell into any of the 3 qualities.

The over-riding summary was that cheap, no label disks had 95% chance of being in the low quality category.

In your case Imation (if made by Tayo Yuden Company Ltd) were "Quality", but if branded the same but made by CMC magnetics Corp. were in the Low quality bracket.

Being keen to buy the best quality for specials I only found one site which offered Kodak, by Kodak Japan Ltd and it seems they are no longer an item!

I settled for Sony which if made by Mitsui are tops, but if made by Mitsubishi Chemicals are medium!

Which makes the point. There seems no way to be sure unless you have inside knowledge of brand name producers, as to the true quality and life expectancy of the blank disk.

I cannot believe the average net or mail order supplier even knows exactly what quality he is selling.
Brand names - not all that safe, but the seller will pitch his price to the market and the discounted price he paid for them.

Like you I expect that most of my CDs will last as long as my interest in them, but it will probably pay to keep reasonably cheap ones for quick burns or to pass on to someone else and the best you can buy for the few really important archives.

I suppose the safe way is to copy the CD once a year and hope there is no degradation or corruption during the continual transfer from disc to disc.With CD media cheap enough, really important data should be saved to two (or more) discs at the original point of creation.

Stuartli 17:18 05 Feb 04

Go to click here and look up the CD-R and CD-RW manufacturers' lists, who makes what, who rebadges it under their own name and who is the worst, average and best producers of media.

Stuartli 17:19 05 Feb 04

TAIYO YUDEN is regarded as one of the best manufacturers in the world and also supplies a number of brands who rebadge its products under their names.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…