//some 3rd party need geo

best camera/printer for novice users please

broggs 17:39 01 Dec 05

Hello...my parents who are in there late sixties want to buy a digital camera and printer for themselves to use.they do not have a pc.any advice on what is the best combination for them to buy.My father still has his old cameras and lenses from 20 years ago when photography was his hobby. he was a bit of an expert with them.My mother on the other handis not very good with fiddly and complicated things so he got her an olympus trip to use.
there lies the problem.It has to be foolproof to use to satisfy my mother yet good spec to satisfy my father.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
on my recommendation they would also want a printer that has separate ink tanks for all colours.
thanks

Diemmess 17:57 01 Dec 05

You are likely to ahve 50 posts - all different!

I would suggest an Olympus "mew"
Small enough to go anywhere and is splash and dustproof.
Excellent quality can be set up for just point and shoot, or Dad can experiment with a lot of settings
If mother wants recognisable easy results, take them to Boots or a sensible print shop.
If Dad having given way on the camera, he can play with digital photogaphy, but you must include good software to keep him busy.

amonra 20:21 01 Dec 05

Advise Dad and Mam to visit their local Jessops (or similar) and have a browse. If they can also find an intelligent assistant to give advice all well and good. As diemmess says everyone has his own favourite, so spend some time getting to know what's available to suit both parties. Dont be pressured into buying the latest "bells and whistle model", there are loads of last year's models gong cheap. Good luck.

anchor 09:28 02 Dec 05

There is a vast choice available, but we really need to have an idea of his budget.

Many of the better cameras now have a choice of being fully automatic, (for your Mother), or with manual controls, (for your Father).

Printers are on sale that can print directly from the camera memory card. However, in my opinion a computer is invaluable for making adjustments to the original pictures, that can improve them enormously. You would not need an expensive PC with lots of bells and whistles to do this.

anchor 09:29 02 Dec 05

There is a vast choice available, but we really need to have an idea of his budget.

Many of the better cameras now have a choice of being fully automatic, (for your Mother), or with manual controls, (for your Father).

Printers are on sale that can print directly from the camera memory card. However, in my opinion a computer is invaluable for making adjustments to the original pictures, that can improve them enormously. You would not need an expensive PC with lots of bells and whistles to do this.

anchor 09:30 02 Dec 05

Sorry for the duplicated posting; don`t know what happened.

Diemmess 09:48 02 Dec 05

I sidestepped the issue of no computer.

You can buy fancy printers that accept the memory card and give some small control over the printed result, but your father's past interest in the hobby might be enough to convince him that he needs to learn this new skill.

Age is not important, nearly 70 means more time to have available and a need to excercise the hard pressed grey cells.

I have a friend then already over 80, who had been a lifelong member of a good local camera club. At his request I set him up with a modest S/H throw-out. He started with Win98SE a word processor and Photoshop. He added more RAM a good 35mm dedicated scanner and an A3 printer. He was completely happy, visiting and revamping old masterpieces. supported by club friends or me if it got a bit technical.
He recently bought a digital SLR and more recently had a bad fall and needs two sticks after a replacement hip! So the SLR isn't having much to do.

There are parallels with your father.

(1) They are both experienced photographers.
(2) They both have friendly tech support!
(3) Neither need have any net connection with all its possiblities good or bad. They both have a source of help if necessary see (3)

Who knows, your mother one day might enjoy being able to pound out a letter or two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…