best cable to connect older pc to flat screen tv?

theDarkness 23:32 25 Feb 11

The flat screen tv has "pc-in" sockets (vga/audio), "component-in" (seperated audio left/right/pr/pb/y), and hdmi. The desktop pc has just the two connections from its gfx card, s-video or vga.

So would the best cable for the highest quality to connect the two be the s-video (from pc) to the vga (on tv)", or something else? I was thinking of checking out pc world tomorrow to see what they have cable wise that will fit the job, if anything. I have heard that some connections will not work very well at all unless the pc has already been set up to output at lower resolutions, as some have a very low max resolution? Since I dont have a monitor here, I cannot change the resolution on the pc before connecting it to the tv (some users on amazon etc complain about not getting any output on their tv due to problems with the max resolution of s-video).

thanks for any help

howard64 11:33 26 Feb 11

the best cable is hdmi but that would mean changing your graphics card. The other types require 2 cables one for the video and the other for sound.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:35 26 Feb 11

click here

All you need is a VGA cable click here#

and an audio cable

theDarkness 15:47 26 Feb 11

thanks to both :) I think I might go for a high res vga cable, if it will work on the system. Im not fussed about having any audio as its only to test an old resetting xp desktop, as I no longer have a monitor for it - see my last post click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…