best book to learn linux

Linus Tourvald 17:15 07 Sep 03

Hi all i have installed mandrake 9.1 side by side with xp pro on my system as a dual boot.

I was so amazed by the ammount of appliations included in this free software. Full graphics editing, video, full office suite. the lot. I am so amazed by it i want to learn so much more about linux.

What will be the best book to buy to learn about it does anyone know. Something that starts me off with installing programs in linux up to the more complex stuff.

I would apprciate any suggestions

thanks

hugh-265156 19:11 07 Sep 03

not sure about books but here is some links:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

Kitz E Kat 20:25 07 Sep 03

Well done , i have a dual with Red Hat 9 and XP on my laptop, very tasty.....

click here, is also a good guide , it does mention Red Hat a bit but most applies to any Distro of Linux..

Happy computing
Yours
Kitz E Kat

Linus Tourvald 21:15 07 Sep 03

thanks for the links already learnt alot today,( still cant believe how great linux is) but i am really after a good book that tells me all bout it from the basics up to the advanced.

any ideas? anyone

Kitz E Kat 21:58 07 Sep 03

Best thing to do is go down to your local bookshop and look at the lot!!!

Strange thing about books is they work for one person and not for another.

I would recomment the Red Hat bible, but it is geared for RH, however as i said earlier the two systems are not that different, so have a look, you also get the disk for RH with the book you could play with that!!!
After that cant say...
The online tutorials will give you everything you need to know, but i do like the feel of a good book, call me old fashioned!!!! Yeah Linux is great, glad you like it , andother new recruit!!!!

Have fun...
Kitz E kat

spuds 22:14 07 Sep 03

If you have access to a PC World store, why not make a visit.The store local to me as a very good range of books, including Linux. Sometimes PCW have a 10%-20% special reduction sale on their books.

whybe 23:41 07 Sep 03

Or possibly put Linux into the search facility at Amazon.com.

powerless 23:47 07 Sep 03

Well I've *ahem* installed upadated nvidia drivers and configured a file to make use of the updated drivers.

I've install my ADSL USB modem and am connected to the net.

Also installed a game - Which will run one of these days.

All with help from a member on this forum ;-)

Buy the book but ask anything here. I'm sure people will try to help. However this a PC windows forum so anything too complex a more dedicated linux forum is called for ...

www . google . com

Megatyte 02:52 08 Sep 03

Try your local library.

AH

John-259217 03:08 08 Sep 03

I`d agree with Kitz E Kat, the Red Hat Linux 9 Bible is worth a browse at your local shop.

It covers most things pretty well but as you`ve noticed Linux has so much that it would be too big to hold if it covered everything (its over a 1000 pages as it is!)

Most of the lightweight books like the "for Dummies" series are ok for a quick start but will probably leave you wanting more.

A look in your local library may also turn up something if your lucky!

I`ve now got RH9 dual booting on my laptop and a desktop system. I found it easier to get my WiFi card set up and the Nvidia drivers installed than the Mandrake distro, now if I can just get Bluetooth sorted so I can leave the serial lead to my mobile at home I`ll be even happier!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017