Best basic printer?

renard 23:40 15 Dec 07

I want to buy an inkjet printer for my daughter and her 7-year-old son. She will probably use it infrequently, for black and white letters etc, but the boy will also want to print coloured pages - not necessarily top quality - for school projects etc.

She hasn't much money, so a printer which is economical and easy on ink would be ideal - perhaps one with individual ink tanks (?).

Their PC operating system is Windows XP.

I have tried to research this, but am bewildered by the variety of printers available.

I would welcome any suggestions, please.

MCE2K5 00:24 16 Dec 07

Is this click here what you are looking for, 4 separate Ink Cartridges, Buy Compatible Ink Cartridges click here, They are cheaper

skidzy 09:47 16 Dec 07

If the printer is only for light use,i would recommend a Lexmark all in one , such as click here
though the ink cartridges can work out expensive if the printer is heavily used.

renard 16:17 16 Dec 07

Many thanks for your suggestions and advice. I will look at both these machines.

Totally-braindead 16:24 16 Dec 07

The Epson is cheap and cheerful and I like them. They are slow and noisy (in my opinion) but the quality of the pictures is rather good even on the cheap ones and its cheap to run.
Lexmark is quieter (at least the ones I have seen) but they are much dearer to run and subsequently I wouldn't have one as a gift.
And I mean that as I was offered one free some time ago and I declined the kind offer and bought another Epson.

renard 20:46 16 Dec 07

Thanks for that, Totally-braindead. They won't mind slow and noisy for their limited printing needs. The Epson appears to be winning.

citadel 22:32 16 Dec 07

hp d2400 29.99 refil black £10 colour £12

renard 00:11 17 Dec 07

Thanks, citadel.

renard 00:12 17 Dec 07

My daughter has gone for the recommended Epson. Thanks to everyone who responded with advice. Merry Christmas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac