Best anti-virus, spyware and firewall software?

Need4Speed 09:20 02 Nov 05

Befre I receive my pc and connect to the internet via broadband I have been advised to get the above installed on my pc.
But with so many to choose from can any1 recommend a software eg norton etc which will do all 3 to the best of its ability, what you would/have bought and if not which 2, price can be no more than £40 unless I have to pay more and would prefer free updates but wouldnt mind paying for the right 1.

Jackcoms 09:31 02 Nov 05

These are all free and regularly recommended in this Forum click here click here
click here
click here click here

spuds 11:24 02 Nov 05

The links Jackcoms provided are well recommended, and worth installing. If you want a firewall, then ZoneAlarm takes some beating click here

Regarding the anti-virus, some people are moving from AVG and are now using Avast click here because of the automatic updates. Remember though, that two anti-virus devices should not be installed on the same computer.

PaulB2005 11:25 02 Nov 05

click here

AVG also does automatic updates too.

DieSse 11:39 02 Nov 05

The best AV is NOD32 click here - commonly recommended by gamers as it imposes the least overhead of any AV on the running of the system (by far). It also contains protection against Spyware and Adware.

I also use Sygate free firewall - it's plenty good enough for a home user, and works flawlessly with NOD.

For Spyware generally I prefer belt and braces - as experience has taught me that no single one will clean out everything everytime.

I use Adaware, Spybot and A² - all free versions.

So I've got an unslugged PC with as good a protection as it gets - and no hassles of any kind.

DieSse 11:41 02 Nov 05

PS - just loaded NOD32 into a Win98 system (with only 64Mb RAM) which had up-to-date MacAfee. It found two viruses and three phishing attempts on it's initial run, and turned the laptop from virtually unuseable to OK (slow of course, but OK).

Belatucadrus 12:48 02 Nov 05

True, but it's limited to one update check per day, avast checks as soon as you log on and again at four hourly intervals. I like them both and as one of the forums resident cheapskates, am running both ( on separate machines, spuds is quite correct two AV on one PC is generally a bad idea ). I rate avast as the better of the two from a users standpoint.

click here for a link to some other useful stuff.

Pine Man 16:22 02 Nov 05

I use Norton Internet Security.

It costs an absolute fortune to buy and the updates take ages to download and don't always install properly.

It hogs resources and slows down my boot up time significantly.

At the end of each year I am allowed to purchase a subscrption for £30!

If have any problems Symantec are only an email away but they never reply.

What more could you want!!!

ventanas 16:28 02 Nov 05

For just those reasons I am about to ditch Norton completely. When it comes to a replacement its no contest, NOD32 is easily the best as DieSse has said. Not free I know, but not expensive either.

PaulB2005 16:32 02 Nov 05

AVG also does automatic updates too.

True, but it's limited to one update check per day, avast checks as soon as you log on and again at four hourly intervals.

Ah I see...

uisquebeathus 16:47 02 Nov 05

Best Free antivirus = Avast
Best for overall protction against :-Spyware, trojans, worms, dialers etc = Ewido

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…