Best anti virus software....???

hawthorn59 16:52 26 Oct 06

I know this is an impossible question, but I'll ask it anyway..! I have Norton System Works 2003 and its well outdated so I need something new. Im reading good reports about AVG but also read an excellent review of Bitdefender (the paid version). So any advice or opinions would be welcome. While I know its a matter of opinion, perhaps if you gave me your top 2 or 3 ??!

Also I presume I need the following:

AV Software
Malware and Spyware software
A firewall ?? (I have XP SP2)

I have Ad Aware, should I get search and destroy?

I want to get it right this time, as I will be getting broadband soon. I notice the paid version of BitDefender has anti spyware also, is this a good thing or are you better to get them seperatley?
PC-cilin got v good review too.

Dont get me wrong, Im not snobbish against the free programmes. But i want to get the best I can and €30 or so is not worth bothering about! So if the free one is just as good, fine!

thanks folks

h

JaßîsFaß ˜ 16:56 26 Oct 06

I'm guessing you want free stuff.

I'd recommend

AVG7
With
Adware SE,
and SpywareBlaster (for malware etc)
Spybot S&D
ZoneAlarm (for firewall)

Had all now for several years, work well together and have been free of viruses etc for all that time.

amonra 16:56 26 Oct 06

I think you'll find that AVG has been recommended on this forum MANY times, so it cant be all that bad. I've had it for about 12 months, no probs (so far !)

JaßîsFaß ˜ 16:57 26 Oct 06

A2 (squared) free is worth having as well, and run it about once a month

dazza39 16:57 26 Oct 06

I'd recommend Avast Anti Virus,its free for Home use and works well,couple it with Windows Bit Defender as well.

rômanab 16:59 26 Oct 06

If you want the best then you need Kaspersky click here

They offer a free trial if you wish to try it first, or you can buy this months PCA as it ships with Kaspersky with 180 days of updates.

Technotiger 17:00 26 Oct 06

click here for AVG

click here for AdAware

click here for Firewall (better than XP's)

and for RegScrub ..

click here

Cheers.

Totally-braindead 17:16 26 Oct 06

Agree with the others I use AVG free, Zone Alarm firewall, Adaware and am trying the AVG antispyware on a 30 day trial. I also have Counterspy which I actually pay for but I got a good deal on it at the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…