to be...or not to be....service pack 2

teknikz 21:14 07 Oct 04

should i or shouldnt i download it? is it even available as a final version yet?

stalion 21:16 07 Oct 04

where have you been it has been available for about 1 month now it is up to you whether to install it or not easier to install from a cd which is on the cover of pca mag or other mags

SANTOS7 21:25 07 Oct 04

IF you don't like it you always have the option to uninstall,good luck

Dorsai 21:36 07 Oct 04

Having SP2'd myself, i would suggest a 'pause for contemplation' for the rest of the WWW.

Let me and onther iron out the bugs.

I did it 3 weeks ago. I had to 're-format & re-install' for the first time in ten years 1 week ago.

A coincidence? Who can say. 10 years is a long time, after all, for no problems requireing drastic action. so may be it was 'due'.

But on the other hand, to have to do it for the 1st time 2 weeks after SP2, after 10 years...

But i have upgraded OS/Hardware seval times. so it might not count. just all other re-installs have been due to a new PC, or a new OS, not a OS that died, FUBAR.

Eamonncw 23:13 07 Oct 04

Hey Technic 2, are you taking the mickey? We
installed it, those of us who had trauma afterwards did a superfast uninstall and those of
us who who are still wondering if something will
go wrong have left it.I think that sums it up.
Roll on Longhorn. Will I be alive to download it?
That`s in the hands of Uncle Bill.

Forum Editor 23:19 07 Oct 04

in its final release version for some time, and you don't have to download it - you can get a CD from Microsoft, or from our cover CD.

The majority of people who've installed the service pack have had no problems, or very minor ones which were easily resolved.

Smegs 23:21 07 Oct 04

I have had NO problems, apart from, every time I want to use our EPSON C82 printer, I have to uninstall the drivers then reinstall them for it to print. Only since installing SP2.

I await till 1st December for Epson to release the updated drivers for SP2.

Carafaraday 09:00 08 Oct 04

Teknik 2 - like you I am holding back from installing SP2. In the meantime though I have been to my pc manufacturer's website and downloaded all the upgrades which they say are necessary to have before I install SP2 - quite a lot of them, and quite a lot of things which would go wrong if I didn't do the upgrades first (system restore being one). Perhaps some of the problems which people have encountered might have been prevented if they had checked first with their pc manufacturer?

tehtarek 12:38 09 Oct 04

Teknik2,
I installed it from mag CD with help from mag supplement on how-to and had no problems touch wood. Gives me (pc-illiterate)new level of confidence on reliability and security of my pc. No slowdowns or other apparent ill-effects. So far. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…