bent pins in pcmcia slot

wurzel2001 23:45 18 Dec 04

I have just fished out some debris stuck in the pins of the pcmcia slot of my daughters laptop and one of the pins is bent out of place. Needless to say it doesn't work!
Can you get replacement slots or is it worth the risk to bend t back into place?
Its a 4yr old Atlas 3400 flyer...
The debris looks like a fractured screw post so apart from more debris floating about I am not so concerned about that!

Gongoozler 10:48 19 Dec 04

Hi wurzel2001. I don't have a laptop so I'm not familiar with the pcmcia connector, however as no-one else has yet answered your question, I'll have a go. If you have a steady hand and you're familiar with handling delicate objects, then you have little to lose and could well be able to straighten the pins. I've had many years experience of working with very fine detail electronics and have often successfully straightened connector pins, but it takes very fine tools and a steady hand. If you don't fel that you can manage this yourself, then perhaps your local computer shop has someone who can.

Diemmess 11:59 19 Dec 04

Like Gongoozler I can only imagine the state of things.

Also like G, if you have the confidence to try, then it should be possible to straighten the bent pin...... They are often of hard brass and will break if subjected to a very harsh bend, either already, or by too vigorous correction.

The pin may now be curved as well as bent over at the point where it disappears in to the moulding.

I would use good fine snipe nose pliers and try to be rid of any curve by squeezing without altering the base of the pin at all.

Once it is straight then very carefully alter the angle near the base until your best guess says it is back to normal.

Belatucadrus 12:37 19 Dec 04

I love fixing things myself, but considering how close the pins are and how awkward it will be trying to work within the confines of a PCMCIA slot, I'd consider any DIY as an absolute last resort.

Gongoozler 12:45 19 Dec 04

For this sort of fine work, you need miniature needle nosed pliers such as these
click here.
I also found fine probes like these invaluable
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…