Bent CPU pins :(

HorseDong 11:54 04 May 04

hi,
i have recently purchased a new cooler for my CPU, however when i removed my old one, i found the CPU had been soldered into place and was glued onto the heatsink, so when i removed the heatsink some of the pins on the CPU bent, does anyone know if i bend the pins back to there origianl shape and place the CPU back into its socket whether it will run ok or whether the thing is knackered.
any thoughts would be appreciated.
cheers
Dave

Diodorus Siculus 12:17 04 May 04

They can be bent back CAREFULLY - just take care not to break them off...

HorseDong 13:28 04 May 04

i managed to bend the pins back and the computer fires up ok, but it then freezes, im thinkin that the new fan/heatsink is not connecting flush with the CPU and therefore is overheating and freezes..
any thoughts?

JayDay 13:46 04 May 04

Can be done. I did it, bu as Diodorus Siculus states be careful & gentle. But lets face it you have nothing to loose by trying to sort it

QuickHare 14:04 04 May 04

Well, the original manufacturer was a bit over-cautious and over-stupid in the building of the computer. It was soldered either because it wouldn't have fit properly so needed to be held in, or they didn't want you to upgrade without taking it back to them and spend more money with their engineers.

The glue would be a bit suss, though. If they used actual glue, then this would have burned up your processor ages ago. It is more likely to be a heat-absorbant gel used to cool the processor further than the fan could.

The chances are the fan was brought primarily for an older, slower processor, so they needed to use gel to cool it further. Either that or it was the best way they could see to 'glue' the part in place, necessitating a return to their engineers to remove it (think money, here. It's what makes some companies tick over).

€dstowe 14:38 04 May 04

Don't want to put you off too much but, upgrades comprising of just putting a new CPU into an old motherboard are seldom as successful as you might hope. As you are experiencing, it can be fraught with difficulties and one should ask oneself: is it worth it? Are you sure that the CPU is suitable for the old board? Will it work at its correct speed when, you've altered the BIOS settings - assuming you're able to?

€d

polish 15:09 04 May 04

i had a similar prob but bent the pins back and everything ok

QuickHare 19:30 04 May 04

That's why I think the fan wasn't up to the job.

€dstowe: This wasn't an upgrade as such, more a repair job...

Dan the Confused 19:45 04 May 04

If the MB has thermal monitering then you can check the temp of the CPU in CMOS BIOS Setup.

Mine does, and when my heatsink/fan wasn't seated properly the MB gave out a very loud warning sound.

woodchip 19:59 04 May 04

What is it a P60 I have one in the cellar that was like that It must be out of a Museum

HorseDong 09:21 05 May 04

i couldnt manage to install my new supersilent 4 pro tc by artic cooling. i could not get the clips on the side of the heatsink to connect with the receptor, so for now ive had to put back the old heatsink/fan. anyone had any probs with this cooler?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…