Benefits of Spybot S D and AdAware?

Boluwd 10:38 18 Aug 03

Hi everyone,
This is my first posting and I would like to know what real benefit would I get from installing the above software. I notice that many of you have installed both. I also have read somewhere that these programs can sometime cause more trouble than it's worth, such as lockups etc.
The reason I'm interested is that my McAfee flashed up on Saturday warning me that I had been infected but before I made a note of the "bug" I had requested a clean and McAfee told me that SPP.Reg had been deleted. My next reboot gave the message "Registry editor..Cannot import C:\spp.reg Error opening file. There may be a disk or file system error" Also my startup progs in MSConfig has an entry "regedit-s c:\spp.reg" which I have unchecked.
I would appreciate advice which would give me confidence to download the spyware software. I have Zone Alarm v3.7.202 and Mcafee VScan Professional build 7.2.6000 with latest Dat files. I am running Windows98SE on a 650MHz Athlon (I know ! I know!)

soy 10:58 18 Aug 03

Spybot and Adaware are programs that search for any Spyware, Adware, Snoopware, malware and everything else that can track what you are doing and reports back to the authors. They often always come with any free programs that you may download or install off the internet or from those free CD's. They track your surfing habits etc and reports back to the authors for advertising purposes.

click here for more information.

Using Adaware and spybot together is perfectly ok (I do) and I've had no problems. If Adaware doesn't detect some, spybot will detect probably it afterwards and vice versa.

Also another good program is spyware blaster click here

Boluwd 14:31 18 Aug 03

thanx Soy, I'll download and give them a try then.

jazzypop 14:36 18 Aug 03

spp.reg is an IE search hijacker - it changes the default search to http :// www. hotsearchbox. com/ ie/

Source - click here

Jester2K II 14:36 18 Aug 03

BTW its only when two programs are running at the same time that problems can (and do) occur.

Spybot and Ad aware can be safely used together as long as you use them one at a time.

Also try SpywareBlaster as mentioned above. This is different. It makes changes to your system so the Spyware thinks its already installed and doesn't / can't try again.

As with all these thing make sure you update once a week or so.

Meshuga 20:11 18 Aug 03

I use both the above programs and they are ok.
One point not generally known though is that
if you are using Preventon Firewall spybot will always show CDilla in red for deletion but you
should NOT delete it . If you do preventon will stop working and you have to reinsert the disc.
It is part of the licensing agreement that you do
not delete it and it does no harm anyway.Meshuga.

Boluwd 21:41 19 Aug 03

I've downloaded and installed both Spybot S&D and AdAware as recommended. It's amazing what they've uncovered. Mostly cookies tho'. I've also installed SpyBlaster. I thought the latter stopped the annoying pop ups? I still get them.
Anyway, thanks for all your advice.

Jester2K II 09:13 20 Aug 03

"I thought the latter stopped the annoying pop ups? I still get them."

Spyware Blaster stops adware installing in the first place. Nothing to do with Popups.

Stuartli 09:58 20 Aug 03

If you install Proxomitron it will not only stop pop ups but also web page advertising.

You'll find it in the downloads section or on Disk 2 of the August 2003 PC Advisor cover disk set.

If you do install it, follow the instructions implicitly; note too that in some cases filling in web page form fields will require that you use the Bypass facility in Proxomitron.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…