Benefits of partioning

Siddhartha 17:38 13 Jan 04

What, if any, are the benefits of partioning an 80gb hard disk running xp home?

Forum Editor 17:59 13 Jan 04

is certainly one of them. By partitioning a disk you are creating several virtual hard drives, and if you keep all your data files safely on a separate partition you'll be protecting them in case of a sudden need to format the operating system partition - normally the C drive.

After a format and reinstallation of Windows, there will be all your data, untouched and ready for use.

You can also create a separate partition for Windows to use as virtual memory - often called a swap file. Windows will normally create such an area on the C drive (or whatever partition it's in), and manage the space itself - using more space or less, depending on what it's doing at the time. You can improve the efficiency of this process by nominating a separate partition as the swap file area.

There's also an advantage in file management and data security terms - it's easy to use different partitions for different purposes. In my case I have a large hard drive with several big partitions - one for Windows XP and applications, one for beta software that I'm testing, one for data storage and one for various downloads and bits and pieces of software that I might need occasionally. It all works very well, and the data files are backed up over my office network automatically, every day.

Sheila-214876 18:02 13 Jan 04

I think the FE has said it all. No need for any more comments.

Big Elf 18:07 13 Jan 04

There is only one disadvantage that I can think of, if you can call it a disadvantage, and it's thinking that your data is safe in the event of having to reformat and reinstall the OS. This is fine and works well but if the disk fails then everything goes.

There's much talk of the reliability of hard drives being improved in recent years but in the last 10 years I've had 8 hard drive failures. Five of these drives failed in the last 12 months although admittedly 2 were destroyed by a PSU failure.

If your data is important then consider additional and possibly multiple backup methods.

Big Elf 18:09 13 Jan 04

I was writing my bit and posted without refreshing (as usual):0)

Diodorus Siculus 18:16 13 Jan 04

As an addendum, adding a second hdd is good advice for safety; having one which is removable and can be put in a fireproof safe is even better. All depends on the value of your data.

Do regular backups of anything you might want, especially your address book and you should be fine.

Siddhartha 18:53 13 Jan 04

Thanks to all - it is something to think about.

Simsy 07:31 14 Jan 04

If you keep a partition, ("C") dedicated to the Operating System and Programmes, with all, (and I do mean ALL, eg, temp intenet files), data kept elsewhere, the "C" partition will be subject to less fragmentation...

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…