benchmarking and overclocking.

jonnytub 22:03 06 Aug 04

Hi all, i recently built my sisters system, here is the spec, xp2600+, 512 pc3200ddr ram, xp pro sp1, geforce fx 5600 (overclocked). The reason for the post is that her son is wanting to play the latest games (as is always the case) and she doesn't have the money to go replacing parts willy nilly. I offered my assistance and duly overclocked the graphics card from a 3dmark 2001se benchmark score of 8525 (pretty miserable) to 8887 which is a vast improvement on the latter although not massive. What i want to know is, is it possible to overclock further without installing a massive heatsink on the card?, the system is very stable at this speed and gfx card temp is 47 celsius. What sort of speed would the card go into meltdown?, i have tried overclocking the procesor but this proved to be a waste of time as the speed reduced the benchmark score to 8763. Rather than adding new parts are there any other suggestions as to how to speed the system up, i.e. tweaks, etc, without causing system instability and adding cost. also the game he plans on buying is the latest quake, of which i've told him not to bother until i've consulted you fellas.

AndySD 22:10 06 Aug 04

It should play withthose specs.... but try disabling as many Windows Services as you can click here

jonnytub 22:14 06 Aug 04

thanks andysd, would it run at a decent speed? i.e. not the lowest resolution?, i apologise im not a big game player.

jonnytub 22:23 06 Aug 04

anyone??

AndySD 22:33 06 Aug 04
  jonnytub 22:33 06 Aug 04

hmm, perhaps posting at Big Brother broadcast time is the wrong way to go :-)

jonnytub 22:34 06 Aug 04

andy thankyou for the link will read through

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5