Belkin wireless router and zonealarm

concretepigsy 17:25 16 Jul 05

I have had the above working side by side with no problems for about a month. I couldnt connect wirelessly this morning, so I rang Belkin for support.

The wireless connection is working again now after changing the broadcast channel. But....Belkin told me not to use any firewall on my laptop because there is one built into the router.

Is this right and more importantly, am i protected??

Thanks

Chris

TomG 18:00 16 Jul 05

Yes they are right - I use a belkin router and have the firewall enabled and have had no problems.

Its best not to have two firewalls as they will have different settings

concretepigsy 18:05 16 Jul 05

so i can rely totally on the belkin firewall then.

do i turn off windows firewall

TomG 18:15 16 Jul 05

Definately

VoG II 18:33 16 Jul 05

I have a Belkin Wireless Router (which includes a hardware firewall) plus McAfee software firewall. These work together quite happily. Looking at the McAfee log, things do get through the Belkin firewall and are blocked by McAfee.

I can see no reason for not having both a hardware and a software firewall. Having two software firewalls is a bad idea as they can conflict. So maybe you should keep Zone Alarm and turn off the Windows firewall.

woodchip 18:35 16 Jul 05

that what i found with a 3com router, i had to remove zonealarm

VoG II 18:37 16 Jul 05

My daughter's laptop accesses the internet wirelessly via the Belkin router and it has Zone Alarm installed. No problems / conflicts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…