Belkin Wireless Router Problems - Please Help :(

MattEllis 01:24 18 Dec 05

kay, I'm a complete newb and have never set up a network or anything so please excuse my ignorance.

I'm not quite sure how to explain this in detail, but the problem i'm having is this; I've just yesterday set-up my Wireless DSL broadband router, It says i have an 'Excellent' connection [The signal strength fluctuates between very-good and excellent], and occasionally after disconnecting the usb wireless adapter and reconnecting it again i'm temporarily able to connect to the internet, i'm temporarily able to browse internet web pages, but it's constantly disconnecting the second i try and download files or sign into any messenger. I completely lose the signal.

Could someone please help me with this? it's getting so annoying.

Is it my layout? [below]

Internet - NTL DSL cabel modem - [Wireless Router] - Downstairs Computer - [Wireless USB adapter - My Computer.

The internet downstairs works fine.

My operating system is Windows XP
Belkin | High-speed Mode Wireless G router
Belkin | High-speed Mode Wireless G USB network adapter

-------------------------------------------------

When it isn't working the IP config reads;

An internet error occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

When it's connected it reads;

Windows IP configuration

Host name: your-kcdyg0bb1c
Primary Dns suffix:
Node Type: Mixed
IP routing Enabled: No
WINS proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter local area connection:

Media state: Media disconnected
Description: NVIDIA nForce MCP networking control
Ler
Physical Address: 00-04-4B-80-80-03

Ethernet adapter wireless connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Belkin High-speed mode wireless g USB network adapter
Physical address: 00-11-50-7E-87-03
Dhcp enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.93.196
Default gateway:

--------------------------------------------

I seriously need help with this ugh.

Matt Ellis

mgmcc 09:36 18 Dec 05

<<< Autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.93.196 >>>

The wireless adapter has lost its IP address from the router, which should be in the 192.168.2.xxx range and Windows had allocated a 169.254 address which won't work.

You might get away with using a fixed IP address. The router will be set to allocate addresses within a certain "pool", for example 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.20, so try using a fixed address outside this range. Try something like:

IP address - 192.168.2.50

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.2.1 (the router's IP address)

DNS Server address - 192.168.2.1 (the router's IP address)

MattEllis 12:19 18 Dec 05

Ah thanks for replying, as i said before i'm a complete newb.

How would i change my IP and the details to those you specified?

Thank you.

- Matt Ellis

mgmcc 13:00 18 Dec 05

Open the Network Connections folder, right click the "Wireless Network Connection" and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Propeties button. This opens the box into which you can enter the addresses.

MattEllis 13:13 18 Dec 05

Blah, it's still doing it, It just cuts off and starts 'scanning' for a the router downstairs, then doesn't pick up anything. Do the downstairs configurations matter?

This is so confusing.

Any other thoughs or suggestions?

Thanks

MattEllis

mgmcc 14:24 18 Dec 05

You could be having problems with interference. Wireless adapters don't like having cordless phones near them and their location close to central heating radiators can cause loss of signal.

MattEllis 14:30 18 Dec 05

But it only occasionally disconnects randomly, it automatically disconnects when i try viewing some websites, or uploading, or signing into messenger.

AND it cuts out the second i try downloading files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…