Belkin Wireless router - help with security needed

FreddyNoFriends 21:29 29 Oct 05

Hi all

I just bought a Belkin wireless G 802.11g router and have installed it via an ethernet connection, as per instructions, to my desktop (running Win98SE) which currently has the broadband connection.
It seems to be working fine, though I've not yet tried to connect any of my other two computers to it.
I have two questions;
1. Where do I go to find out about seting up some encryption to stop everyone in my street and the rest of the town using my broadband connection? I tried Belkins website but couldnt find anything there, and the installation disk I used has nothing on it that seems to relate to encryption. Anyone know where I can get some simple instructions on how to do this?

2. Am I right in thinking that if I decide to move the computer thats currently hard wired to the Broadband modem via the router, I can simply fit it with a wireless G network card, move it, and leave the router sat there on its own with the cable modem? Or does the router and modem need at least one computer hard wired into it?
Sorry for the bone questions, but I'm a network newb.

Ta

Strawballs 21:36 29 Oct 05

click here Try here and yes once the router has been setup the wired machine can be removed and a wireless card installed

Sans le Sou 21:45 29 Oct 05

Have you tried your default gateway something like click here whatever the Belkin one is, may get to the utilities you require.

Sans le Sou 21:46 29 Oct 05

number like 192.168.1.1 should have known it would end up as a click here

FreddyNoFriends 22:00 29 Oct 05

Sans le Sou - not sure what the default gateway is or how I get to it - like I said, I'm new at this.
Thanks for the link Strawballs - going to have a read now and see what I can do...

woodchip 22:07 29 Oct 05

You need to look under Wireless connection in the Router setting If you also have a Laptop you need to set the laptop with the same settings as Router if it's wireless

Portly 22:13 29 Oct 05

to click here

Do not include www.

This will take you to your router login. Leave the password blank so that you do not have problems in the future.

Look down the left hand side, to the security settings, and click on it. You can set up WPA or WEP security.

Don't forget to stop broadcasting your SSID, and do set MAC address filtering when you have set up your network.

You should have comprehensive help files on the the CD that came with your router, plus there is good help after you log in to the router.

Portly 22:17 29 Oct 05

keep one PC with a wired connection, since if anything goes wrong with radio side, you cannot login to the router and put it right.

FreddyNoFriends 00:32 30 Oct 05

Thanks Woodchip - I dont have a laptop but I presume I'll have to change any other desktop settings to match the router too?
Thanks Portly - I've got that settings page open now so I'll have a play with those settings and see what happens.
Cheers

FreddyNoFriends 03:43 30 Oct 05

Figured it out and all is working nicely.
Thanks for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…