Belkin wireless problems

Remy Martin 14:52 11 Jun 06

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless G router. Ethernet connection to the PC works without any problems, but wireless connection continually fails. Both my PC and Xbox 360 connect to the network, but the connection fails a few seconds later. The ethernet light changes from green to orange and both the wireless and internet lights go out. The connection is lost and I have to unplug the router to reset it. Any help gratefully received.

Gosford 17:57 11 Jun 06

I was about to post a similar question to you when I saw your message.

I have the same router as you and at first it worked perfectly, then after a couple of months I started to lose the connectonand the only way to get it back is to unplug the power and plug it in again.

I have tried to update the firmware but all I get is a message saying it is the wrong version, even though it is downloaded from Belkin via the firmware update utility on the router's setup screen.

I have had a look around via Google to see if there was a way to fix this, and although there are a number people who have had the same sort of problem, I have ben unable to find out if this problem can be fixed

So has anyone ever had this problem and fixed it?

I will be very grateful for any help given.

ade.h 18:31 11 Jun 06

Can you tell me whether you leave it on all the time and whether it is in a well ventilated position? You may have read comments from Danoh and me about how hot Belkins get?

Remy Martin 18:48 11 Jun 06

Glad I am not the only one with this problem. I too have tried to update the firmware with the same result. The router is in a well ventilated position, although I do keep it one all the time. A put in a call to Belkin and they are sending me a replacement unit, so hopefully this will resolve the problem. Nothing else seems to work.

ade.h 18:56 11 Jun 06

When you receive the replacement, turn it off periodically (overnight, for example). This allows it to cool down and periodic reboots are almost as good for routers as they are for PCs.

Gosford 16:27 12 Jun 06

I have thought about the heat that the router generates being a problem and have tried propping it up in various positions to enable air to circulate around it better, but I don't think the design of the casing helps, as most of the ventilation slots are on the bottom. I would have thought it would be better to have them on top, but hey, what do I know?

I will try what you have suggested, ade.h, and I'll let you know if it helps.

ade.h 16:32 12 Jun 06

It helped a lot for Danoh (though he thought of it; I didn't suggest it to him) but it depends on what model it is and what its location is like. Mine has slits in the upper surface and runs very reliably, but it is only switched on when it's likely to be needed.

>steve< 18:28 16 Jun 06

if you search this forum you'll see i had the same problem 2 days ago i took the router back to pc world and they replaced it no problems they said it is a common fault on belkins so this is probably the answer.

TomG 11:22 19 Jun 06

I'm having this problem as well - I've put a call into belkin and they didn't mention this possability

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…