//some 3rd party need geo

Belkin Wireless Network & Laptop

Colonelkaye 21:25 25 Feb 05

Hi All,
I have a wireless network on 3 PC's via a Belkin Wireless Router (F5D7630) which works fine. I have MAC address filtering set up which was done via Belkin direct.
I have purchased a laptop and want to add it to my network but I cannot find a way of getting the MAC address onto the router setup page and also the IP address of the laptop is not in the range of the network.

Do I have to manually change the TCP/IP settings which I have tried already and the auto DHCP stops as a result. It connects to the network but the router is stopping it surfing.

Furthermore, the MAC address produced according to the Belkin setup page has an incorrect digit. Is there a set pattern to mac adresses?

This laptop is a pressie next week so any help would be appreciated

FelixTCat 22:33 25 Feb 05

First, go into the router from one of the pcs that works now.

Go to MAC address filtering on the left-hand page menu. Add the MAC address of the new laptop (Clue: type ipconfig /all at a command prompt).

Then click LAN Settings on the menu page. heck that there are enough addresses available between the IP Pool Starting Address and the IP Pool Ending Address. Click Apply Changes.

Exit the router.

If you have switched off SSID broadcast, you will have to enter the SSID in the laptop wireless set-up; similarly if you applied WEP encryption you will have to enter the codes.

Colonelkaye 22:54 25 Feb 05

Felix,
This is the third time you have come to my rescue and I simply want to have your babies!

I did as you said and put the Mac address in but when I applied changes it said a digit was out of range hence my original question.

I deleted the mac address and restarted thinking I would have to go again and the internet is on the laptop hey presto!

However, I have inadvertantly knocked off MAC address filtering and that is why I have been able to connect. Do I need to add WEP instead or do you think filtering plus wep is safer?

FelixTCat 13:10 26 Feb 05

Thank you for your kind comments. I am available most Tuesday evenings ;)

There are 3 ways you can protect the wireless network:

WEP encryption

MAC filtering

SSID broadcast disable

The more of them that you can implement the better. You cannot make the network totally safe, but you do make it much harder to hack and an amateur hacker will go elsewhere.

By the way, if you go to MAC address filtering and it is off, you can enter the MAC addresses to allow from the drop-down box above (the DHCP Client List).

Drop the list down, highlight the one you want, then allocate the number in the list where you want it. That saves any possible mistakes in copying the address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…