belkin wireless network

marbles 19:47 29 Sep 05

i have just brought a belkin adsl modem with wireless g router and a network card for my laptop thinking i have all that is required to go wireless, but it seems that i need a network card in my desktop to connect the yellow rj45 cable that came with the router is this correct, i thought i could just swap my present modem with the new and all would be o.k but seems not. Please help.

De Marcus™ 19:51 29 Sep 05

Most desktops come with a lan port, are you sure yours doesn't? It should look like click here

marbles 20:00 29 Sep 05

no i dont think so as i cant see one, my motherboard is a jetway v266dm approx 2.5 years old. does this mean if a do not have one i will have to buy a network card ?.

De Marcus™ 20:02 29 Sep 05

Yes you will, they can be had for less than a tenner if you shop around. You'll have to make sure you have a spare pci slot. Belarc advisor should be able to help you out there click here

De Marcus™ 20:04 29 Sep 05

The jetway site states you do have a lan port, are you sure?

De Marcus™ 20:05 29 Sep 05

My apologies, looked at the wrong one.

marbles 20:07 29 Sep 05

Thanks Marcus, i will purchased a network card. I thought it was to good to be true when it said on the box install in 3 easy steps.
P.S will it affect the speed on my desltop as i play a lot of online games ?.
thanks again

De Marcus™ 20:09 29 Sep 05

No.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…