Belkin Wireless Help!

jacal 16:56 15 Nov 07

I have just set up a small office with a Belkin ADSL Modem/Wireless G Router at the heart of it - hardwired to the main PC (Dell Precision with Vista) - I have a Dell Vostro 1400 (Vista) which is wirelessly connected - and I have a Dell Dimension 9100 (running XP) connecterd via a Belkin 802.11G Wireless USB adaptor. All were set up and all work without any problems. (In fact much faster than the Orange Livebox I had previously)

Today I tried to connect an Amilo Pro (running XP) with an additional Wireless USB adaptor (an additional Belkin 802.11G) and whilst installation is ok and the wireless element is ok - it appears that the IP is not.

From the 'monitor' screen DHCP is enabled - IP address is assigned, Subnet mask is assigned - but - Default Gateway and DNS Server are not.

Im not a great expert in this field so can anyone please shed any light - I have disabled all network adapters on the Amilo and set it to automatically assign an IP - and therefore cannot understand what is going on.

Any help greatly appreciated

mgmcc 22:14 15 Nov 07

What IP address does the new computer get? If it is a "169.254" address, this indicates that it has been unable to access the DHCP server (the router) to get its address and Windows has defaulted to allocating an APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) one in the 169.254.x.x range.

jacal 10:20 16 Nov 07

You are right - the IP address is 169.254.200.59. I have tried the USB stick on the other 'wireless' computer and I can confirm there is no hardware problem since it works - similarly I have checked the USB port and this also works - so I think it must be a software problem - can you suggest any actions to remedy the problem?

Many thanks

ambra4 10:46 16 Nov 07

Check these sites

click here

ambra4 10:57 16 Nov 07

Or this site

click here

jacal 12:30 16 Nov 07

Thanks guys - I downloaded WinSock XP Fix and the problem has been resolved - I can now get on with some work as opposed to 'playing around'

happy hunting

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…